Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2003, 09:32 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

the brand was flake frenzy 4... has all 4 types of the flakes they make.

i went and bought some ph up and am slowly adding it to the tank... doin it .1 a day. that sound good?

i found ro water at meijer today while shopping for only 29 cents a gallon so im gonna go get some tomarrow and do a few water changes throughout the week.

Old 07-22-2003, 09:36 PM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

I read back through the thread, and the only question I would have is - what were/are you using to measure the pH? - What brand of test kit?

ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 10:41 PM   #23
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossv
the brand was flake frenzy 4... has all 4 types of the flakes they make.
Sounds like either HBH brand (the one I use) or OSI brand? Either is a good choice.

Quote:
went and bought some ph up and am slowly adding it to the tank... doin it .1 a day. that sound good?
Do you know the alk level of the tank? If low I would instead suggest a good marine buffer than a product soley meant for ph. It will do the same thing but better. ph only products are not designed for proper marine use as much as they may claim. There is not much in them other than the same stuff arm & hammer does. Buffers have a better formulation for "stabalizing" the correct ph without over shooting it.

Good to hear abot the RO water. Just do small water changes (10%) every few days. Nothing drastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefLady
the only question I would have is - what were/are you using to measure the pH? - What brand of test kit?
Great question. Stupid me for not asking it. (Thx Teri)

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-23-2003, 12:34 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

the brand is saltwater master liquid test kit... im pretty sure it isnt a very good one but i havent seen any that look good at my lfs.
What should i look for in a good test kit and at a reasonable price?

also what should i look for when i get an alk buffer?

thx again!
Old 07-23-2003, 12:40 AM   #25
steve-s

Since ReefLady posted the Q about the test kit I am still quite interested to know what the ph of the change water is after it has been mixed and allowed to cirulate with a powerhead for a bit?

This will also help determine if it's environment or possibley a poor/faulty test kit.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-23-2003, 01:00 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

Good Advice above. I'd go for more flow in the tank first, then retest and add PH buffer as needed. Your PH might be all over the place because your tank is new and by adding fish as you did it may be still cycling. I would double check your levels at the LFS.

But I wanted to add that for a 5 week old tank, that is a huge bio load for it. I would start a little slower on adding fish and inverts. Maybe 1 fish every 3 weeks.

Also for that size tank I don't know if you want to add a tang to it. I just don't think it will have a ton of space to swim. They do require a lot of space. So keep that in mind.

As for getting a skimmer and more LR, I would wait until you figure out the first set of problems then you can move on.

125gal Reef
55gal sump
AquaC EV-120 Skimmer
Arctica 1/4hp Chiller
3 x 250W MH 10K and 2 x 165W VHO Actinics
mulron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 02:18 AM   #27
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulron
I would double check your levels at the LFS
Agreed, getting your levels verified is always a good plan but having them test the ph will not help.

When removed and transported, the water will either be overly oxygenated or if sealed acidic, in which case would skew the results. If anything, I would purchase a different test kit of another brand. Personally, I would recommend Salifert but others may have some additional suggestions.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-28-2003, 12:59 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yea, i didnt know tangs needed lotsa space to swim. Ill skip the tang for now on hehe. Ive added some ph/alk buffer and my fish are much much happier. Its been stable for a few days now so we will see how it goes hehe. Ill definely get a good PH to get some more flow and get a good test kit when i get the bling bling. Thanks for the help much guys, i really appreciate it!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com