Big surprise, I like chromis.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been looking for a schooling fish for my new tank and wanted something that was affordable. No $300 6 fish schools is what I mean. I've known chromis are hardy, schooling fish, but none of the pictures I'd ever seen made them real desireable to me. Was at the lfs and they had a dozen hungry little guys in a tank. Had a bit of fun watching them chase my finger back and forth on the tank. I wasn't real impressed with the looks as they were just little silver guys with hardly any coloring. But the price was right and the movement fit what I wanted. So I picked up 6 and put them in qt. The next day I actually lit the tank to make sure they were doing ok and was pretty amazed at the coloration on them. Very interesting how they flash from plain silver to bright green/blue/purple as they move, which they never stop doing.

I know, I'm a dork :lol: but anyone looking for similar movement, but like me, unimpressed with the photos should take a look at them under decent lighting.

Nah..you're not a dork. I think watching Chromis are really cool. The best part of them is the price, and they are very hardy. What type of lighting are you using? I have Compact pc's, and everything glows under them.

Mike

I've been trying to decide about Chromis, Indy, so I appreciate your thoughts! Not dorky at all. :) Do you think 3 would be okay or would it take more to be officially cool looking?

I'm planning for a 75, so I don't have much wiggle room, sadly. In my first vision I was going to go for a regal tang, but after seeing how many people think they are best in a larger tank I think I've crossed one off my list. I've got 2 ocellaris and I know I want a royal gramma and a coral beauty. I was thinking about a fairy wrasse and a shrimp goby . . . . I could give up the wrasse, I suppose . . . anyway, I'm feeling like that's going to come close to maxing me out and more than 3 chromis might be too much. Sorry to steal your thread with my fish list, Indy! You just got me started. :)

I have 3 Green Chromis and they school. I bought them all from the same tank and they were all very small when I got them. A lot bigger now.

Very active fish. they keep the tank looking busy

I was looking at them today at the lfs, almost bought them. Now i am convinced i will. Thanks! Thety will be my last addition to my tank. I will try 3 of them.

Right now they're under 40w of NO, and the bulb is about 6 years old. Had to dig deep in the closet just to find where I had it stashed. I recently moved the contents of my 55 (including lights) over to my new display and I'm using the 55 as a QT until the new tank is stocked. Eventually they'll be under a good bit of PC, 10k and 50/50 mix, so I'm expecing the colors to show up even better. In the week or so I've had them and feeding them better than flake food their colors have gotten stronger day by day. They should end up being pretty impressive litte guys.

As for numbers, 3 would show their schooling, but the more there are the more impressive it looks. I would have bought all 12 the store had, but I didn't want to drop that kind of money on what I considered at the time to be a "filler" fish.

Downside on them in the QT, they never stop moving so it's hard to get a close look at their skin! Voracious little eaters tho. Another week or so and they get moved in to their new home.

I like schooling fish, However, Chromis are a bit to freshwater looking for my taste. My Saltwater real estate is really limited, and Chromis aren't worth it for me.

However, I do love watching fish intereact, and you don't usually get alot of this from saltwater.

To each their own!!!

What? 8O You mock my tastes? :x Darn you Rocketseason, Darn you to an eternity of Dharma and Greg reruns! :evil: Just kidding :) I agree about their shape, but the colors man, the colors... hehehehehe

I started with 3 for a 75g 10 months ago to cycle my QT wile the rock was curing in the main. One died in QT and another died 4 months into the main after a velvet outbreak. Got another and he lived in QT for 3 weeks with two farm raised percs. He thought he was a clown for a while I think.

When the 3 got added to the main, it was soooo cute when the single chromis in the main realized there was another all of a sudden. He actually flew out from behind the rocks and swam around almost wagging his tail at the new, larger b/g chromis.

The new one still hangs out with the clowns from time to time, but swims with her little buddy all the time. So, I got a school of two working fine. Wanting to add a third but wondering whether it'd be OK. 5 would be too many for me with my current stock.

P.S. - didn't know about the more humane cycling methods back then, without fish.
Then, I found this site and learnt those kinda neat things. :wink:

Clowns also do the little "schooling" behavoir when kept in pairs, and they are VERY pretty...

...not that chromis aren't of course. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom