Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
big ticket fish or community reef

I'm planning out tank mates for my 800gallon tank.

I am undecided whether to get a big ticket fish like a shark,

Do a community reef with corals and colorful fish

So, I am open to suggestions/advice

The tank is in the reception area of my physical therapy/sports injury clinic.

The lfs has a black tip reef shark In a 650 gallon, it looks really cool. But fish and coral tanks are very colorful.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1895227289.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	65867   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1679527559.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	65868  

audifusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Me, I'd go with a reef with lots of colorful fish. BUT if you go with something like the shark you could save big $$ as you wont need intense lighting for the corals which I'm guessing would be the biggest part of your build budget.

I think it kinda depends on your clientele as well, would they appreciate the colors of different fish or would they most amazed by huge large fish? LOL

180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
I think for me, I would want to see a bunch of colorful fish with some really nice corals when I walked in. Physical therapy always makes me anxious when I first go, so it would be a little more relaxing to see the flow and movement.
On the other hand, a shark could be like a little mascot, I'm sure all your clients would remember it.
Just my opinion
Sssea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Make it a reef tank I find the soft movement of things like frogspawn and ducan very soothing. The thing about having just a shark if something went wrong you would be without much in the tank.
joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Angels,lots and lots of angels ...
Some tangs mixed in too would look nice
Currently rebuilding
QTing is a good thing
Grow your filtration
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'd go for a reef. It's what i'd like to see if i was going to my PT. All the fish and colorful coral would soothe me a lot more than 1 shark.
225G Reef Upgrade
AquaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Physical therapy and a shark staring at you while you wait to me would be kinda weird.LOL

A nice relaxing reef with lots of interesting corals and fish to look at would make me relaxed from the get go.
Ricksreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm for the reef as well. You have constructed an absolutely phenomenal structure to show off a beautiful sceen straight from the best that the reefs have to offer.

If you haven't seen it, check out Matt's 700 gallon natural sunlight.... in Members showcase. His fish selection to me is superb.
TLTGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would go with the colorful fish and corals!
[CENTER]Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
Latest aquarium vlog:
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Holy Santa clause [mod edit]. How has nobody commented on this tank lol. That thing is amazing. Lighting a reef might be costly with a tank that size but I say go for the reef. A couple sharks would be nice if it were going in my basement, but a physical therapy office...sharks aren't usually associated with putting people at ease. Reef it and post alot more pictures lol.

BallinCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote

community, ick, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com