Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2003, 11:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

big time noob

hi
im new to this forum but am a member at dozens of others
i just recently opted out of getting another freshwater ray tank and will make my new 90 a saltwater tank
i need all the help i can get! basically i need suggestions about filtration, skimmer, co2(needed for coral but not for LR so i understand), water changes (do i ned RO/DI water? or will tap water be fine?) heating etc. etc.
all of the equipement
and also some suggestions of fish
i like yellow tangs, and clowfish but they're prty much the only saltwater fish i know about!
looking to begin the research.
thanx in advance,
peter

Old 11-14-2003, 12:52 AM   #2
steve-s

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com...

I would definately suggest reading our >>articles<< section as well as buying a good beginners book that will help you along the way.... I would recommend this one for sure:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter101
need all the help i can get! basically i need suggestions about filtration, skimmer, co2(needed for coral but not for LR so i understand), water changes (do i ned RO/DI water? or will tap water be fine?) heating etc. etc.
all of the equipement
For a reef tank your best filtration will be from within the tank, mainly LR and a sand substrate. The skimmer will greatly depend on if you incorporate a sump into the set up or opt for a refugium...
CO2 is unneccessary unless running a reactor. RO/DI will always be your safest bet and although TO has good standards for drinking water, it may not be up to snuff for a reef tank. The heater will need to be about 250-300w for that size tank and titanium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter101
i like yellow tangs, and clowfish but they're prty much the only saltwater fish i know about!
looking to begin the research.
There are indeed many fish available but not all will be reef compatible nor will they all co-exist. What I would suggest is looking through the many on-line sites that include brief info and pics on the various animals available. Please take their recommendations with a grain of salt as they are very general and I am by no means recommending that particular site.

While you are planning, I would also be preparing a good quarantine set up for your future fish additions as well...

HTH
Cheers
Steve
Old 11-14-2003, 01:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

RO/DI water is better sooner than later!!! I learned that the hard way, algae blooms, etc. I recomend STARTING with it.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com