Bill's Intro to the Reef - 5 Gallon Rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any updates?

Not much is going on with this tank... The palys have grown like 4-5 new heads, the torch has that weird thing growing off the back, and the zoas are just kind of sitting there, no new signs of growth. Second emerald crab died yesterday... I'm kind of relieved, because I didn't want to add any more coral with him in there. Clown fish is doing fine. I've kind of lost interest in it for a while... I'm focusing on planning a rescape of my planted tank.

I've been contemplating just upgrading this to a 20 long, making it FOWLR, and keeping it in my sons room.

Sad to say, our clown jumped the other night... :(

Other than that, the tank is doing really well. Sand and glass are staying clean, and I'm finally starting to see some coralline spreading on the rocks. Haven't bought any new corals, I'm focusing on a couple FW builds ATM. Plus, everything is doing so well, I'm scared to add anything to the tank! :eyes:

Stocking list as of right now:

2 Trochus snail
1 Nerite snail
1 Nassarius snail
1 Scarlet red hermit

Cleaned the tank and did a water change earlier today. :D

Attachments

• image-3566079778.jpg
    image-3566079778.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 98
  • image-3323882552.jpg
    image-3323882552.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 103
Wow that looks great...Sorry about your clown:( I have an 8 gallon I just started..then I found a 29 bio cube for dirt cheap..so now I have both running..not sure if my wife's gonna let me keep the nano!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131014_231638.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131014_231638.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 103
Wow that looks great...Sorry about your clown:( I have an 8 gallon I just started..then I found a 29 bio cube for dirt cheap..so now I have both running..not sure if my wife's gonna let me keep the nano!

Thanks! Your tank looks good too! This being my first salt tank, the whole nano thing really hasn't been as difficult as everyone says. It's taken months to stabilize and stay clean, but I think that's just how all SW tanks are, you gotta let them mature, like some good whiskey... :lol:

Anyways, my maintenance is pretty minimal. Top off daily, water changes once a week. I rarely have to clean the glass. Honestly, it's been way easier than my FW tanks. Go figure!

Myne as well has been easy! No problems (KNOCK ON WOOD!) If my wife let's me keep it I'll be in good shape!

"You just can't experience salt water to the fullest with a nano." Oscar 19

Yeah... A large tank is out of the question for now, though...

My wife picked out a single pajama cardinal and a baby yellow watchman... So I'm gonna have to do something soon... Man, cardinals are boring! I miss our baby clown... I'm already getting some brown algae on the sand again... Doing twice a week water changes, haven't tested in a while, though.

It's doing great man! Really not all that difficult. Just have to be patient... It's a little over stocked right now, I let my wife pick out fish when we were buying water... :banghead: Hoping to upgrade soon!

Glad to hear it! We're moving to a new place in December so in thinking its a good time to switch things up a bit since I'll be breaking everything down anyway. How hard have the corals been to keep up with?

Glad to hear it! We're moving to a new place in December so in thinking its a good time to switch things up a bit since I'll be breaking everything down anyway. How hard have the corals been to keep up with?
Well, I don't have very many corals, haven't been buying any since I plan to upgrade... They get everything they need from the water column, I don't dose anything since I'm doing such frequent water changes.

Just cleaned the tank and did a water change.

Nitrates were pretty close to 0ppm and phosphate was .25ppm.

PJ likes to come up front when I approach the tank... He eats like a pig. The goby still hides when I'm close, though.

Here's PJ being photogenic :D
img_2723120_0_c00bcb7aeeec1e439ee4f67e7e19466b.jpg

FTS
img_2723120_1_8e237397205227612ec8c4513f428082.jpg

Last edited:
Moved the zoas off the sand and glued them higher up on the rocks this morning. I haven't had any new heads, so I figured I'd give them a little more light. The palys have grown like 5 new heads, though. I really need to start buying more corals... :p

img_2724015_0_b0e601b6828d065a076dbdf410a4be15.jpg

img_2724015_1_236c5d01d70bd174f31ef2490cc3cadd.jpg

img_2724015_2_b4a6d750adcfe734fb05b68eab80df9f.jpg

So, I've been trying to plan what I want to upgrade this tank to... I'm thinking either 7.5 gallon rimless cube or rimless 12 gallon long? Any opinions? Opinions on keeping our single pajama cardinal in either? It's not like they're very active swimmers, and I've honestly grown fairly attached to him.

So, I've been trying to plan what I want to upgrade this tank to... I'm thinking either 7.5 gallon rimless cube or rimless 12 gallon long? Any opinions? Opinions on keeping our single pajama cardinal in either? It's not like they're very active swimmers, and I've honestly grown fairly attached to him.[/QUOTE

If it were me and I wanted to keep the cardinal, I would do the 12 gallon long.

That's what I was afraid of... It's gonna cost me more. :)

ATM he doesn't look too big or awkward, but it's hard for me to visualize him fully grown. I don't think I've seen any full grown ones. I'd say he's about 1 3/4" - 2" right now, apparently they get 3". I've been contemplating having a custom tank built similar to the 12 long but a few inches taller and deeper... Chaaa ching!

I'm to darn picky... :(

Back
Top Bottom