Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2013, 12:38 AM   #301
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbug68 View Post

I know fort is running his 12 long with only an mp10... I don't think he has any fish though... I'll have to shot him a pm and see what he thinks.
That'd definitely be a good place to ask. I don't know much about running nano tanks. (Saltwater ones, anyway.)

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:52 AM   #302
Aquarium Advice Addict

I see you caved bill. That little guy is adorable. He looks happy. Great excuse to do an upgrade! I think your wife gave you the excuse for a reason!

Old 08-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #303
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

So today I woke up to what I THOUGHT was a dead hermit crab... Luckily, this time, it WAS only a molt! I can still see the little guy in his shell... Sooo... One question! Is it at all possible that the molt could cause a nitrite spike? Params were good a day ago. I last checked a day or so after adding the clown to make sure the BB was keeping up with the new bioload. Well, just tested to make sure all was well and ammonia was 0, nitrite was 2, and nitrate is less than 5...

Oh! I also forgot to mention, I found that I actually already have a Nassarius snail! Haha! I guess when I added the CUC he dug down so fast that I didn't even know he was there! I had a slight mix up because the guy threw in a bunch of empty shells for the hermits in the same bag as my actual snails... Thought the dude ripped me off for a minute... Selling me an empty Nassarius shell... Haha

Anyways... The clown is doing good, does laps around the tank and surfs in the powerhead flow... Silly clown! My stepson came home from his dads house on Sunday and named him Marlin... lol, what four year old DOESN'T name his first clown fish nemo!?!? He went with the dads name and said we need to go get another one so we can name it nemo... This kid is smart!

Apologizes for the ranting... Thanks for reading!
Billbug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #304
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it's the clown causing the spike it takes about 5-7 days before you really see a spike from the new bio load no worry's a quick WC will set things right. And i think Marlin was nemo's dad. Smart kid

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #305
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
I think it's the clown causing the spike it takes about 5-7 days before you really see a spike from the new bio load no worry's a quick WC will set things right. And i think Marlin was nemo's dad. Smart kid
Okay cool, just wasn't sure if the molt could cause it in such a small tank. I've been feeding the clown sparingly in the morning and night. Is twice a day good?
Old 08-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #306
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Also, so should I do a water change right away, or add a bit of prime and let the tank do the work?
Old 08-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #307
Aquarium Advice Addict

When he comes out he might bury the molt and snack on it for awhile. That's what my former roommates hermit would do. But I would remove it after a certain amount of time so u don't get toxic ammonia in the sub.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #308
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMantelli View Post
When he comes out he might bury the molt and snack on it for awhile. That's what my former roommates hermit would do. But I would remove it after a certain amount of time so u don't get toxic ammonia in the sub.
I removed it after nitrites tested high, just to be safe... Thanks for the tip, though!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #309
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbug68 View Post

I removed it after nitrites tested high, just to be safe... Thanks for the tip, though!
No prob.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #310
Aquarium Advice Addict

I feed once a day and a WC wont hurt either

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com