Bill's Intro to the Reef - 5 Gallon Rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Diatoms are seriously blowing up right now! I caught the crab out eating some, tried to get a quick vid for you guys, but as soon as I took out my phone he retreated back in to the rocks... Haha

Attachments

• image-1414198385.jpg
    image-1414198385.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 104
  • image-193655112.jpg
    image-193655112.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 91
Diatoms are seriously blowing up right now! I caught the crab out eating some, tried to get a quick vid for you guys, but as soon as I took out my phone he retreated back in to the rocks... Haha

Yeah. Some nassarius (sp?) snails would be happy in there. Lol.

Nassarius snails dont eat algae. :)

I believe its astrea snails that eat diatoms, but not 100% on that. Nassarisu snails are the ones that go under the sand and pop up when you feed your tank. I dont have a single tank without those guys, LOVE them! lol

Nassarius snails dont eat algae. :)

I believe its astrea snails that eat diatoms, but not 100% on that. Nassarisu snails are the ones that go under the sand and pop up when you feed your tank. I dont have a single tank without those guys, LOVE them! lol

Yes you are correct of course. I actually knew this one!!! The diatoms should decipate after about a week or so if im not mistaken. Aslo if im not mistaken its a stage your tank will go through

Yep, we all get diatoms and the stage should pass like said above. Couple weeks max. :) Then the good stuff starts happening.

Yeah, I know it's just a stage, but should I still assemble a decent clean up crew? Perhaps an Astraea turbo or some Cerith snails? Along with a couple hermits? The Astraeas stay kind of small? Only about an inch???

BTW, SERIOUSLY glad to have you hear Carey! I know you're experienced, and I'm sure I'll need your help along this journey!

I know I've said it before but, thanks again to everyone, I'm having a lot of fun with this tank, and with this thread as well! :D

Last edited:
Yeah, I know it's just a stage, but should I still assemble a decent clean up crew? Perhaps an Astraea turbo or some Cerith snails? Along with a couple hermits? The Astraeas stay kind of small? Only about an inch???

BTW, SERIOUSLY glad to have you hear Carey! I know you're experienced, and I'm sure I'll need your help along this journey!

I know I've said it before but, thanks again to everyone, I'm having a lot if fun with this tank, and with this thread as well! :D

Yes a cuc is a good thing to have. Id stay away frim turbos and go with astrea

Awesome! Now I know what I'm looking for! Haha

Thanks bud! I'm excited!

Oh I'm sure you are I wish I could start up another tank but gotta give it a break in between I've alreadtly set up 4 in a year and have another one I've put on hold untill I can make it out to my local glass shop to get some custom pieces cut.

Oh I'm sure you are I wish I could start up another tank but gotta give it a break in between I've alreadtly set up 4 in a year and have another one I've put on hold untill I can make it out to my local glass shop to get some custom pieces cut.

I don't know how you guys handle all these tanks, I'm behind on maintenance and I only have two nanos! ;)

If I decide to do it sooner yay but just the tank and stand will be 200 $ plus filters rock fish and whatever else may be needed. Definitely more expensive than a fw tank

Yeah, depends how you decide to go, my 12 gallon freshwater cost me well over $1000... Salt does get ridiculously expensive, though.

I don't know how you guys handle all these tanks, I'm behind on maintenance and I only have two nanos! ;)

Yeah, depends how you decide to go, my 12 gallon freshwater cost me well over $1000... Salt does get ridiculously expensive, though.

Can you pm me a link to your 12g fw tank? My wife wants to see

Back
Top Bottom