Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2013, 04:08 AM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

Btw thats not a bad light at all. I wish they gave you freshwater lighting for it when you order. 31.49 isnt a bad price at all

Old 07-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post
Btw thats not a bad light at all. I wish they gave you freshwater lighting for it when you order. 31.49 isnt a bad price at all
I believe they used to have the option to choose a 6500k bulb or 50/50... I don't know why they stopped and only sell the 50/50... I plan on switching to LEDs eventually, but for now this will have to do.

Billbug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post

Well ive seen your freshwater tanks and they look awesome so you have no choice but too succeed. You've got this far already so there is no turning back. I look forward to another update
Haha thanks, I guess the pressures on now!
Old 07-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Anyone else have opinions on the light and what coral I can keep? Was planning on zoas, maybe some other stuff? Coral suggestions would be great as well.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbug68 View Post
Anyone else have opinions on the light and what coral I can keep? Was planning on zoas, maybe some other stuff? Coral suggestions would be great as well.
I'm not a light expert, but I'm sure you could keep softies. Mushrooms, zoas, palythoas, etc.

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I really like candy canes and torch corals as well. Are these higher light corals? Thanks for the input btw j!

Edit: after looking these up on LA, figured out they're LPS? So could I keep LPS corals? Again, 26 watt 3U bulb, tank is 10x10x12".
Old 07-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well, this morning I noticed I'm starting to get some diatoms, so I tested the water. Ammonia has creeped down to .25 and nitrite was down to 1-2.
Decided to head to the LFS this afternoon, as I was almost out of RO/DI. Made a nice little trip out of it with my stepson, stopped for some In-n-out on the way, then to the fish store! I think this was the cheapest trip to the LFS I've ever made... Picked up a small piece of live rock to help seed the tank, 5 gallons of water for top offs, and resisted buying a baby clown... Made it out for only 3 bucks!
I do currently have an emerald crab in the tank, who's proven to be quite hardy, and to have a nice appetite. So far I've just been feeding him some frozen brine, and he loves it... Clings on to my tweezers with his claws! He's surprisingly strong... I know I probably shouldn't have added him yet, but it was hard to say no the last time I went to the LFS with the wife... He seems to be doing well, like I said, he's got a great appetite.
Should I do a water change tonight? Or wait and see if the little bit of live rock makes a difference in wrapping up the cycle?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbug68 View Post
Well, this morning I noticed I'm starting to get some diatoms, so I tested the water. Ammonia has creeped down to .25 and nitrite was down to 1-2.
Decided to head to the LFS this afternoon, as I was almost out of RO/DI. Made a nice little trip out of it with my stepson, stopped for some In-n-out on the way, then to the fish store! I think this was the cheapest trip to the LFS I've ever made... Picked up a small piece of live rock to help seed the tank, 5 gallons of water for top offs, and resisted buying a baby clown... Made it out for only 3 bucks!
I do currently have an emerald crab in the tank, who's proven to be quite hardy, and to have a nice appetite. So far I've just been feeding him some frozen brine, and he loves it... Clings on to my tweezers with his claws! He's surprisingly strong... I know I probably shouldn't have added him yet, but it was hard to say no the last time I went to the LFS with the wife... He seems to be doing well, like I said, he's got a great appetite.
Should I do a water change tonight? Or wait and see if the little bit of live rock makes a difference in wrapping up the cycle?
Looking good! I would wait to do a water change until the nitrate spike, but that's just me. It may be more necessary with the little crab in there though. I always like emerald crabs.

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmay33 View Post

Looking good! I would wait to do a water change until the nitrate spike, but that's just me. It may be more necessary with the little crab in there though. I always like emerald crabs.
Yeah, I love the little guy. Really fun to watch, especially at feeding time. I just hope he doesn't develop a taste for coral...Haven't checked nitrates in a while, I'll test for that later tonight. I'm sure they've already spiked though. I believe I had nitrites and nitrates 2 days after adding the bottle of dr tim's one and only.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Just tested again...

Ammo .25
Nitrites 2
Nitrates 10

Seems to be coming along nicely, just not as fast as I'd hoped for. Patience...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com