Bill's Intro to the Reef - 5 Gallon Rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so I've been tagging along on the thread and this is a stupid question: what do you feed the corals and how you feed them? im new to SW and was recently given a kenya tree

I don't really feed anything besides the torch. I give each mouth a mysis shrimp once a week. I believe, most of the time, corals will get what they need from the water column.

so would flake food work for corals? i understand the importance of different type of food. i have frozen mysis shrimp, bloodworms, brine shrimps, etc. but due to my job requirement, i need to travel every now and then, usually >1week. so my entire tank needs to stay alive on flakes that i put in the automatic feeder while i'm gone, which is reason why when i pick fish, they need to be willing to accept pellets or flakes.

so would flake food work for corals? i understand the importance of different type of food. i have frozen mysis shrimp, bloodworms, brine shrimps, etc. but due to my job requirement, i need to travel every now and then, usually >1week. so my entire tank needs to stay alive on flakes that i put in the automatic feeder while i'm gone, which is reason why when i pick fish, they need to be willing to accept pellets or flakes.

I guess my point was, you don't really need to feed them... As far as I know, I'm still knew as well.

Coral get there food from the water column and the algae that lives in side them, feeding your fish gives them plenty to eat

Coral get there food from the water column and the algae that lives in side them, feeding your fish gives them plenty to eat

Thanks for the confirmation grizz... I've done my fair amount of research, but I still don't feel comfortable giving out saltwater advice if I'm not positively sure of the answer... Thanks again! :D

So just noticed my torch closed up and there was this long stringy brown crap coming out of the center of it... What the heck was that? Did it just drop a deuce?

Last edited:
So just noticed my torch closed up and there was this long stringy brown crap coming out of the center of it... What the heck was that? Did it just drop a deuce?

That funny! Someome else may know because I dont. Just had to say it made me laugh

I can't believe you actually smelled it :ROFLMAO:

How would you feel if you were dropping a deuce and someone pulled it out and smelled it?

I can't believe you actually smelled it :ROFLMAO:

How would you feel if you were dropping a deuce and someone pulled it out and smelled it?

I didn't INTENTIONALLY smell it... I had it on a paper towel, I was squatting down staring at the tank, and caught a whiff... :lol:

I guess I would feel quite violated... :rotfl:

Is it me or is this thread getting a little strange :whistle:
And yes corals do poo Be sure to keep on eye on the torch though coral will dump there algae when stressed

Is it me or is this thread getting a little strange :whistle:
And yes corals do poo Be sure to keep on eye on the torch though coral will dump there algae when stressed

It started to come back out last night, which I think is good. I've read some have had them not come back out for 24 hours after discharge. I did notice a few sad looking darker tentacles last night before the event... I hope it's okay. I'm all worried now... :eyes:

Back
Top Bottom