Alright guys, this is my first salt build, and I am really excited! Let me start off by saying, yes I know, it is not recommended to start off with small tanks, but after feeling fairly successful in the "high tech" planted side of aquaria, I feel I am ready and able to keep a small reef tank stable. I work nights, so the majority of the time I'm home to keep an eye on my tanks. My plan is to keep some easy care stuff, mainly zoas and maybe a few other softies. The only means of filtration will be biological and water changes. So lets dive in to the setup!
- 5 gallon rimless ex-Fluval Chi - Dimensions 10x10x12"
- Hydor Koralia 240 circulation pump
- Finnex 50 watt titanium heater
- Finnex Epoch clip light with 26 watt 50/50 bulb. I've rewired the moon light on this fixture so I can run the bulb and LED
moonlights on separate timers. I may eventually upgrade to an LED
- SOON to be built DIY ATO, this is something I definitely need to get done soon and will be key to keeping params stable. You guys will be impressed with my DIY skills!
- Roughly 6.5 pounds of dry rock (I choose dry to keep the possibility of any pests to a minimum since this is my reef)
- Roughly 6-7 pounds of CaribSea Fiji pink live sand
First go at the scape
Sand added and filled, wow that's cloudy!
And finally, after messing with the rocks a little, the morning after fill up
So that's it for now guys and girls! I'd love to get some of the really experienced reefers active on this thread, I'm sure I'm gonna have a ton of questions! I'm sure my planted tank friends are surprised right now...