Bio balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hammer fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all are bio balls with foam in good or bad for a sump in a a bag floating by the return pump thanks

Is this a wet/dry sump? I'm sure it will be fine but I would use some live rock instead. Preferably in a separate chamber than the pump.

Live rock in the middle refug section balls added for extra filtering is my skimmer ok in the refug section also

I would say they are not good bio balls work when water is passed through them. if you want to use bio ball they would be best in a canister filter or in a section where water passes through them to get to the next section. Live rock would be much more beneficial in them in my opinion as it converts ammonia to nitrate and then converts the nitrate to nitrogen which is harmless with its bacteria whereas the bio alls just convert from ammonia to nitrate which is bad at high levels

Yea if you're running LR and a skimmer then I just wouldn't even use the balls. You can use the skimmer in the fuge if that is your only option but I would try to partition it so your pods don't get sucked up into the skimmer.

I have now moved it to the back of the display tank think that's the best option not to bad to see it

Back
Top Bottom