BIO BALLS! cant find confirmed answer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gomer4378

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 120 gal main with a 15 gal sump/refuge and 200 lbs LS and 200 lbs LR,
Do I need Bio Balls in the sump or not?

Some say to get rid of them and some keep them. What does everyone on here think?

Probably not unless you have a reasonably stocked predator tank and in need of quick NH3 conversion.

I have a 125 gal with a 40 gal sump, I use bioballs, with LR and LS of course but so far I have had no problem with my system. I too have heard some say they do not like them (whether it be cuz of a nitrate problems or whatever else) IMO if you do your PWC frequently and do regular water tests I see no problem in using this set up

well I took the option of removing them.
I figured since I have 200 lbs LR that I might as well, plus when I did remove them they were pretty nasty already and they have only been in there for a couple of weeks.
they were in the same chamber as my skimmer and I had about 2 gal of balls so I dont think I was allowing the skimmer full potential since they were catching everything.
I'll clean them for now and save them so if I need them I'll throw'em back in later.

Back
Top Bottom