Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2011, 07:59 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not sure why, I was told to remove my bio balls but I didn't. I have not had more than 10 ppm nitrates in my tank. I know this isn't typical, but as the saying goes, if it's not broke don't fix it. Lol

Old 04-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #12

Without the bioballs you may be able to get it down to 5 or even undetectable. In a reef that can make a world of difference. I can't imagine letting my reef run at 10.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I said its never been over 10, as of yesterday it was such a small amount, probably around 1-2ppm, it was barely detectable. I wish they made a more sensitive test that did 1-5 on a color scale. Lol
Old 04-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Fishguy... What should I replace the bio balls with?

Anything you can recommend or should I just remove them and leave the sump empty? Or should i put live rock in there aswell as more live rock in the Display tank? And if I do put them in the sump will I need light down there aswell?

Thanks mate and I do appreciate your help and patience with all my questions.

Danny
Old 04-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #15

If you can add a light just use it as a refugium. If you don't want to add a light just add live rock. You don't have to have light for live rock unless you want to grow photosynthetic organisms on it.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:15 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok cool...

So to sum things up.

I'll remove all the bio balls. Replace it with live rock and I'll also put in the sump the 'marine pure, bio filter media' from cermedia.com ??

I'll Keep the lights in for about 4-5hrs a day in the Display Tank and no light in the sump where the other live rocks will be.

Should I still use that White cloth type that was on top of the bio balls just underneath the spinning arm which is dispensing water?

Thanks

Danny
Old 04-03-2011, 04:23 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have ammonia, then everything is not Okay. You should read up on cycling your tank wiithout fish. /This can be found in the articule section of this site. What makes "Liverock" alive is the bacteria that live and grow in the rock. Everything else on the rock are "Hitchhikers". Room light is more then enough for the bacteria. If you find hitchhikers that you like, then you might want to put the lights on for a few hours during your cycling period.
Get a liquid test kit and learn to test your own water sample.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:39 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah but my tank has finished cycling... It's been on since October so it's been like 6months.

The problem is I have no fish in my tank but last week when I went to the LFS they told me I have a little higher then normal level of ammonia but everything else was fine.

He told me it was Becuase I had the lights of for over a month they are starting to die. There is no fish and hasn't been any for over a month and half just live rocks.

I had no skimmer till today which I've set up and got it working.

I just wanted to know if I should remove the bio balls and just put live rock in there (in the sump) and if I should put that white cloth over it just below the spinning arm on top of the live rock.

Also I would start doing the tests my self...

Any particular test I should buy? Like I know I need one for ammonia, ph, calcium etc etc

Thanks heaps appreciate everyones time

Danny
Old 04-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #19

The only 'normal' level of ammonia is 0.

By definition it is not cycled if there is ammonia or nitrite, or you have thrown things off somehow and had a re-cycle or mini-cycle. Did you add any live rock recently?

I wouldn't add a white cloth in there. That will function as a mechanical media, which I prefer to avoid in naturally filtered marine tanks. They will just increase your nitrate.

API's master saltwater kit is good. When you get stony corals then get a good kit for calcium and magnesium (not API).
Old 04-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

I added about 4kilos rock about a month and half ago. That's it. I did so a 20% water change then as well (this first and only water change since I first started cyclin 6 months ago)

What is stone corrals? I'm not planning on putting anything in the tank except for fish and live rock

Thanks

Tags
balls, bio, bio balls

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com