Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

stoney corals are the ones that buildup reefs due to them making a hard inner shell out of the calcium in the water,

Old 04-08-2011, 05:26 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've read somewhere that after you cycle, if you don't stock the tank, you should add fish food sometimes to keep the bacteria from dying out. Since the tank has been running for awhile, maybe something caused a spike in ammonia and not enough bacteria to handle the spike due to them dying without any nutrients. Can the bacteria die if we leave a tank running without anything but rocks?

Old 04-08-2011, 05:53 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

They can decrease in numbers and slowly die out. That is the reason it is important not to add to much live fishes and such at one time. You have to give the bacteria time to catchup with the bioload of your tank.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:34 AM   #24

Correct, if you will not be stocking it yet you need to keep adding ammonia to feed the bacteria.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purevil21 View Post
Not sure why, I was told to remove my bio balls but I didn't. I have not had more than 10 ppm nitrates in my tank. I know this isn't typical, but as the saying goes, if it's not broke don't fix it. Lol
i had bioballs on my 180G reef before i tore it down my nitrates never went over 10 i guess it all depends on your tank and how much maintenance you do
Old 04-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

I suppose, my water stays clear and my nitrates today are barely over zero. I use bio balls and two dress socks full of activated charcoal in my wet dry filter. It seems to work for me.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:33 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks to everyone for your help. I do appreciate it.

An update of how things are going and what I've done with my tank after receiving everyones feedback.

I've added that 'marine pure bio filter' at the bottom of my sump and then put the bio balls back over it with half the balls underneath the water the other half out.

ive added Over 20kgs of live rock so now there is over 30kg in total. I've removed all the creatures that were hiding in the live rock including some large round star fish with like 5 long spiky legs.

Just before I did add the rocks I took some water back to my LFS and they told me everything was fine... In saying that I did ask them to use a cap when testing the water since last time the guy just used his finger when shaking the tube to mix it (not sure if maybe that is why it showed ammonia last time they done the test, but this time I noticed the test for ammonia was a lot less brown) I've also added a skimmer to my tank last week as well. And had the water tested by 2 different people and both said everything was perfect.

So hopefully this time round I'll have no issues adding new fish. I was told I should wait at least 2 weeks because the new rocks I've added will 'spike' the tank again.

What I wanted to know now, is that now I'm thinking of adding corrals or anemones... What is easier to maintain Corals or Anemones?

Or should i wait and add fish in my tank then slowly start adding them or should it be done before I add fish? Also is 1 white and 1 blue light enough for the fish/corals/anemones?

Thanks you again

Danny
Old 04-10-2011, 02:37 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purevil21
I suppose, my water stays clear and my nitrates today are barely over zero. I use bio balls and two dress socks full of activated charcoal in my wet dry filter. It seems to work for me.
What is 'two dress socks full of activated charcoal and what's a wet dry filter' I'm thinking if it working for you I may add them to my tank as well. I do have a sump underneath my tank with a pump which sends the eater back up and in there I have my skimmer, heater and bio balls + marine pure bio filter'

Thanks

Danny
Old 04-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your sump is a wet dry filter if it has bio balls. Only the area holding your water after filtration is the sump. The side with bio balls is a wet dry filter. I added activated carbon to polish the water. I filled two dress socks with it and tied them up. I then put them on top of the bio balls. Some people put it in pantyhose or anything that will let water pass over the charcoal. If you decide to do it make sure you rinse the carbon before putting it in the filter.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, I would recommend establishing your tank before adding any anemones or corals. How long has this tank been running?

Tags
balls, bio, bio balls

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com