Bio cube newbie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tevinvto

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys! My names tevin, and I am about to journey into salt water reefs! I am literally on the way to getting a bio cube 29 with live sand and established water for 4 months. What are things I should really look out for? How do I clean it? How should I even start to think to stock this tank? I am at a loss and totally new to salt water.. Thanks for reading guys and future thanks! :)

Google how to properly cycle a saltwater tank that is the first step and usually takes about 4 weeks to complete before you can add livestock. Patience and research is key in this hobby.

In short form
-put live rock in tank
- add sand
-add saltwater that is already mixed
-put in a cocktail shrimp and let it rott.
- monitor parameters daily
Watch for a spike in ammonia, then nitrites, then nitrates. This could take days or weeks I found it best to give it more time then less.
-add a small clean up crew.
- wait another week or so ( give the beneficial bacteria time to grow to the amout of livestock you have added)
- add a fish
It is good to add small amounts of livestock at a time so as not to overload your biological filtration. It gives it time I between to catch up.
Ya might need a heater as well to keep your temp at 78-80 degrees depending on where you live.

And that was short form!! Lol any questions just ask. I've got a jbj cube and I love it. Good luck
:)

Hey I'm back again! Okay so here's where I'm at. Sand is fully down, water conditions are near perfect, i have 2 hermit crabs that came with it and now I'm confused on how to install the skimmer.. How do I add this into the tank? I've searched but I can't decipher how to do it.. Also, what is a good ph to be at? I'm around 7.8-8..

Back
Top Bottom