Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Using aseptic techniques and an inoculating loop it is very obvious that the bacteria grown on the Petrie dish is from the bottle rather than air contamination. You could actually use the loop to make a letter and you would see a bacteria letter in a few days. I really don't understand why you guys have a hard time accepting this. Bacteria have been around for millions of years and are very good at adapting to different environments. They have found bacteria in thermal vents in the ocean that would melt your face off. Look at the super bacteria that developed resistance to antibiotics. A few months on a shelf in a bottle is a cakewalk.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to nohika
Trust me, I've taken micro and used all those fancy techniques. There is still a chance of air contamination. And despite the bottle saying it containing the right bacteria, you can't 100% guarantee that the bacteria will work as promised. Would require a whole different experiment. No IRB, thankfully.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

It is very easy to isolate a bacteria strain in the lab and then grow it...the science is very clear in this...people do it everyday.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to nohika
Yes, but have you done it? Have you tested the bacteria and seen it do what it claims to do? So many people have not.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:48 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Like I said in an earlier post...that is all I use to cycle my tank. Add bacteria and add livestock.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmurraylhs
Using aseptic techniques and an inoculating loop it is very obvious that the bacteria grown on the Petrie dish is from the bottle rather than air contamination. You could actually use the loop to make a letter and you would see a bacteria letter in a few days. I really don't understand why you guys have a hard time accepting this. Bacteria have been around for millions of years and are very good at adapting to different environments. They have found bacteria in thermal vents in the ocean that would melt your face off. Look at the super bacteria that developed resistance to antibiotics. A few months on a shelf in a bottle is a cakewalk.
That's great every bacteria colony is different. Some can die if the temperature just changes by one degree, I've first hand experience on this, if I had the time and money I would do the experiment, I don't so I can't, I hope someone can provide some scientific proof soon on this subject and show us some statistics... Until then we can come up with ideas for why and why not (including me lol) and .. Well to no end to say the least.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

well I had crazy work hours past few days so I got back to this today. And I see we are split.

Carey has tried it and has seen no difference in cycle times, although she always seems to use live rock in either case. So is adding a substantial amount of live rock OR the bio in the bottle the same thing?

The other person kmurraylhs says they have used it with success. Was this on virgin setups with "dead" rock?

Now this next statement I'm going to make, I need you guys to cut me some slack on, its based on life experiences and I'm certainly no biologist. So explain it to me if you can..... I enjoy the outdoors year round, and I have seen many many animals go "dormant" in adverse conditions only to come out stronger than ever when the time is right. Can bacteria do this....could that be how they get the shelf life they claim?

Id like professional opinions if we have them out there, I agree if I read the corporate bulletin on this it will favor the product. I'm looking for independent feedback.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

The bio in a bottle work. I help a friend do tank maintence at a hospital and we put in dry rock and sand with dr tims and then go in fish. I have also used biosphere as well. They work. I prove it all the time. So until you use it, you really have no arguement.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM_Sushi
well I had crazy work hours past few days so I got back to this today. And I see we are split.

Carey has tried it and has seen no difference in cycle times, although she always seems to use live rock in either case. So is adding a substantial amount of live rock OR the bio in the bottle the same thing?

The other person kmurraylhs says they have used it with success. Was this on virgin setups with "dead" rock?

Now this next statement I'm going to make, I need you guys to cut me some slack on, its based on life experiences and I'm certainly no biologist. So explain it to me if you can..... I enjoy the outdoors year round, and I have seen many many animals go "dormant" in adverse conditions only to come out stronger than ever when the time is right. Can bacteria do this....could that be how they get the shelf life they claim?

Id like professional opinions if we have them out there, I agree if I read the corporate bulletin on this it will favor the product. I'm looking for independent feedback.
In a way you are correct, they can mutate very quick and use this to adjust to conditions they did not evolve for previously, BUT to sustain a colony a lot of food is required for it. I don't say it's not possible to create a loop but if they found a loop (cycle essentially) to use in their bottles than would like to know how they did it.
...waiting...

Tags
bio, bottle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com