Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Bio in a bottle??? Feedback please

So I caught this link in another forum (possibly Carey's Bio Cube build) and it got me curious. Id like to know if folks have tried it and if in fact it has worked.

Here's the thing with this stuff that I dont get. With live rock on the market and live sand... It seems that cycle times could be extremely short anyways. How much time is a product like this actually saving? I guess Id like to hear from those that have tried THIS PRODUCT and hear the good and the bad.

Please watch the link ..... dont tell us about the looong ago attempts at bio in a bottle that didnt work, because that issue is allegedly addressed here. The reason I became curious about this type of thing is the tv show tanked. If you havent seen it they set up brand new tanks that are huge huge money setups and the livestock goes in within hours of completion. Made me wonder if its possible. Your feedback please.

Bacteria in a Bottle: Snake Oil or Worth Trusting? - YouTube!

Old 08-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

It is very possible. I always use bacteria to cycle my tank. I never do the shrimp thing or ammonia thing...you just need bacteria and something for it to use to grow and reproduce. Bacteria can and do multiply exponentially. I have never had any problems with livestock losses.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I just setup my newest tank on Sunday. i added 20 lbs of rock from someones established tank and about 5 lbsof the rock from my pico tank. Since there was a bottle of "bacteria" in the actual tank kit I used it.

I had an ammonia spike of .5 for one day. never saw any trites and the trates are at 5. Tjose amounts are from the live rocks die off. If this bacteria had worked the cycle woudl have been longer and I would have seen trites at least something.

I also have setup several other tanks using the exact same method but NOT using bottled "bacteria". Same result everytime. Ammonia spike, no trites then trates all within a few days. I've also cycled with pure ammonia on my first tank. used live rock from someones tank and dosed ammonia to 4ppm. No bacteria again. Ccycled this time with nitrites showing. Cycle was done in a week.

I didn;t believe the bacteria in a bottle thing before and now after just using it I definitely don't. How can any nacteria stay in a bottle and alive for months? Suspended animation? This is all my opinion, but I feel I have a strong case as I've used it and not used it.

My vote is to spend that money on asomething cool for your tank instead, liek a fish or a coral. Or on any number of things you know youre gonna need with a sw tank. LOL
Old 08-26-2011, 12:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Carey,

You are right...it is like suspended animation...it is called endospores or exospores. It allows bacteria to survive when conditions are not favorable. Add nutrients and presto bacteria start to grow and reproduce.

Kurt
Old 08-26-2011, 12:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

what i have worries with on these products is that their lifespan would be shorter than a couple of months not 2 years like it says on the bottles. I just cant imagine it. Bacteria only grow and survive if they have the food to survive. They need sugar, water and ammonia. If there is a large enough colony of bacteria in there, how do they survive so long in the bottle without new food sources, if they can cycle a tank in a few days?
Old 08-26-2011, 01:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

As a biology major all I have to say is this. How is bacteria supposed to stay alive in a sealed bottle at room temperature for possibly months at a time? It doesn't. It needs to be refrigerated. Also how is a beneficial bacteria in a bottle gonna work for fresh and marine apps? It's two totally different applications? So it's almost like selling a cichlid to someone stating it's a good fish for a fresh or marine setup. Catch my drift? It's bottled bullsh*t in my opinion.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:30 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD
As a biology major all I have to say is this. How is bacteria supposed to stay alive in a sealed bottle at room temperature for possibly months at a time? It doesn't. It needs to be refrigerated. Also how is a beneficial bacteria in a bottle gonna work for fresh and marine apps? It's two totally different applications? So it's almost like selling a cichlid to someone stating it's a good fish for a fresh or marine setup. Catch my drift? It's bottled bullsh*t in my opinion.
Yea I know right?!! I'm a biomedical engineer and this stuff makes no sense...
I kind of want to read the research paper but I feel like it's a bs paper like the most that are published by private companies...
Old 08-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

As a biology major, all I have to say is plate some out on a Petrie dish and you will see the results. I have done this and it does produce tons of bacteria.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to nohika
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmurraylhs
As a biology major, all I have to say is plate some out on a Petrie dish and you will see the results. I have done this and it does produce tons of bacteria.
There's ways for airborne bacteria to get in a petri dish...so unless you can 100% say fer sure it was the type of bacteria needed for saltwater systems...which I don't think you can.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohika

There's ways for airborne bacteria to get in a petri dish...so unless you can 100% say fer sure it was the type of bacteria needed for saltwater systems...which I don't think you can.
+1

I want a scientific proof this stuff will survive for longer than 2 weeks!

Tags
bio, bottle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com