Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2009, 06:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Lightbulb Bio-Spira

Do any of the products claiming to contain Nitrofying bacteria actually work? Bio-Spira, Biolabs Nitromax, Seachem Stability, Marineland safestart.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
I would not know. I don't use any media in my SW tank just LR rubble and a Skimmer with 2 power heads for current. I think that would be the best way if your going SW.

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bio-Spira is legit.
RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Bio Spira is now called tetra safe start and no longer needs refridgerated is what I'm told..
Old 03-04-2009, 04:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I wouldnt bother with any of that, I would just stick with live rock and the fishless cycle.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod74 View Post
Bio Spira is now called tetra safe start and no longer needs refridgerated is what I'm told..
The freshwater version of Bio-Spira is Tetra Safestart.
The Salwater version is still called Bio-Spira but no longer requires refrigeration.
The original, refrigerated versions, absolutely worked and worked very well.
I have heard many negative reports on Safestart only one positive and I have heard nothing about the "New" non refrigerated saltwater Bio-Spira.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #7
Thanx but no.....

Actually I think they are all owned by the UPG (United Pet Group) with Bio-Spira now being marketed under the Instant Ocean brand. I believe Tetra, IO and Marineland are all part if UPG.

That being said, I never saw any press release or anything else explaining how the formula was radically changed to allow for non refrigeration. Which leads to wonder the following. Did it need to be before? Does it need to be now?

You don't make a major change to the product without some type of break through.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:08 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Guys i have used bio-spira in a 30 gal and 110 gal SW tanks along with live rock and live sand and saltwater from my local fish store. both tanks never went through a cycle cycle... i monitored the progress of water everyday. by the way i added freshwater mollies (2) right away. i went from 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate to after a few days 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrite and 10 Nitrate. and then it remain steady with all readings zero after a week or so.
Never lost fish added few clarkii and anenomies and a tang within a week and all healthy and living.
Bio Spira works for sure
Old 05-26-2009, 12:19 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to thatmagicguy Send a message via Yahoo to thatmagicguy
And do you have the data for setting up the same tanks without bio-spira?
Old 05-26-2009, 12:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

i did setup a 46 gal SW tank last year with live rock and live sand with regula tap water mix with salt. No bio spira was used that tank took over a month to stable up. No i dont have the data on it but my experience with bio spira is that it does work and if u start ur tank with live rock and live sand and saltwater from a good source along with bio spira chances are u will be able to add fish within a week, Bottle claims add fish immedietly but i would recommed wait a week till u see 0 nitrite and few nitrates.
I did add mollies rightaway after setting up. they did servive. Bio spira is expensive about $18 a bottle for 30 gal tank. I get mine at suthern agriculture store in oklahoma.

Tags
bio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com