Bio Spira

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used biospira, live sand, live rock, and stability and have never had a spike in anything. Ive already passed through the diatom stage. It's a gamble maybe but it could happen.

You are right. Depending on bio spira solely is a mistake. I used it in the hopes to fasten the process, kinda booster. Right now ammonia 0 , nitrite still at 0.25, nitrates going thru the roof. I think its time for a water change and some clownfishes :)

Sent from my ME302C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You are right. Depending on bio spira solely is a mistake. I used it in the hopes to fasten the process, kinda booster. Right now ammonia 0 , nitrite still at 0.25, nitrates going thru the roof. I think its time for a water change and some clownfishes :)

Nitrite & Ammonia MUST be at 0 before adding any livestock.

I used biospira, live sand, live rock, and stability and have never had a spike in anything. Ive already passed through the diatom stage. It's a gamble maybe but it could happen.
Are you sure the success isn't from the live rock rather than the additive?

To be honest, I don't know. Before I added bio spira, I dosed my tank with ammonia and saw that i was getting nitrites and nitrates and ammonia going down. Used the additive just in the hope of accelerating the process. So you may be right I could have cycled my tank without it.

Checked today. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0 . Did not bother to check nitrates.

Did 50% water change.

Am i ready for the fish?

To be honest, I don't know. Before I added bio spira, I dosed my tank with ammonia and saw that i was getting nitrites and nitrates and ammonia going down. Used the additive just in the hope of accelerating the process. So you may be right I could have cycled my tank without it.

Checked today. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0 . Did not bother to check nitrates.

Did 50% water change.

Am i ready for the fish?

You should be as long as your nitrates are down.

Sat. Dec. 27. Did 50% water change. Added seachem balance to buffer pH. Here's the parameters
pH 8.2, ammonia 0 ppm, nitrites 0 ppm, nitrates 10 ppm, salinity 1.022, temp 75.5 F

Jus bought a pair of ocillaris clownfish for 30 bucks.

Sounds like you are cycled. :) I used dr tims and his ammonia source for my last 3 tanks and they all cycled in a little less than two weeks.

I will say this though, do not start adding buffer and any other "needed" things recommended by your lfs. Ph will find its sweet spot and stay there if you do your water changes and have proper air flow. It's not a great start to add stuff like chemicals. :)
Just my two cents. Good luck going forward.

carey, you are so right. I had no plans to spend $14 on the ph buffer but my friend who has a saltwater tank suggested to get one. I am in Michigan, so don't know if pH plays a role in the grand scheme of things. Anyway, since I have already bought it so what can I say but I will keep monitoring my pH and won't add it again unless I see clear signs of its need.

Thanks for your suggestion.

From personal experience, I have used Bio Spira with great results. I have used it to kick start my cycle. I personally would wait 24 hours after adding (and add the entire bottle) before adding any fish.

I am assuming you do not have a fully cycled tank yet based on you wanting to dose ammonia. This will help the cycle along from my experience. If you do add fish, only add 1 maybe 2 for the first month (since you have such a big tank) to let the tank complete the cycle. Do bi weekly water changes for the first month of at least 25% (more depending on your ammonia readings), or until fully cycled, then go into regular maintenance schedule. Many people will disagree with me here, but looks like you are wanting to maybe do a fish in cycle, and it can be done safely as long as you are on top of your WCs and monitor it very closely.

Back
Top Bottom