Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Bio Spira

So I got a bottle of Bio Spira while it was on sale for 12 bucks. Says it can treat up to 200 gallon tank. Mine is only 45 gallon. My question is should I dose the tank with Ammonia after I put this product in and keep testing water parameters and then may be a week later put some fish in?

Or do what the bottle says. Empty the bottle in tank and after 30 minutes put fish in.

What do you guys recommend? Is this stuff really good?

Thanks in advance.

Sky

Old 12-15-2014, 03:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssky View Post
So I got a bottle of Bio Spira while it was on sale for 12 bucks. Says it can treat up to 200 gallon tank. Mine is only 45 gallon. My question is should I dose the tank with Ammonia after I put this product in and keep testing water parameters and then may be a week later put some fish in?

Or do what the bottle says. Empty the bottle in tank and after 30 minutes put fish in.

What do you guys recommend? Is this stuff really good?

Thanks in advance.

Sky
almost completly useless ive found. The last thing you wanna do in saltwater is throw chemicals in for no reason. Cycle fishless correctly and youll have no issue.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Don't just put fish in add ammonia too. I have been fishless cycling for over a month now and the nitrite would not go down below 1 ppm. I had some Bio Spira so I thought,why not 24 Hrs later nitrites were zero. I added more ammonia and again 24hrs later both ammonia and nitrites were zero. Do what you feel is best after gathering information and finding out what others have had success with.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Criptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Great Criptix. This is what I was thinking of doing.
1. Doze ammonia to 4 ppm.
2. Pour the whole bottle of bio spira.
3. Wait 30 minutes
4. Check Ammonia levels
5. Wait 24 hours
6. Check Ammonia level.
7. At that time I hope to see reduction in Ammonia and Nitrite and increase in Nitrate.
8. Keep doing it for a week
9. Add Fish
10. ENJOY !!!!

What do you guys think? Is it a good plan?

Thanks
Sky
Old 12-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would 2nd the comment by mattyfelts... Chemicals IMO are not the way to go... Let nature run its course do its thing an don't try to speed up the process. What have you been cycling tour tank with? LR? Dead shrimp?
Old 12-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
come get me tang police!

Biospira isn't "chemicals", it's a proven bacteria supplement.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 12-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Exactly, bio spira is no chemical. Its a load of bacteria that u introduce in your system instead of slowly growing it over many weeks. I don't see a reason why it should not be tried. I know many traditional Aquarists will loat h at it but this the new way of cycling your tank. First it was shrimp, then came pure ammonia and now this. IMO
Old 12-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I used it and dosed ammonia for a week and a half let ammonia and nitrite reach zero, then added a fish. The fish has been great for over a week now.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

bgmann. This exactly what I was thinking. Instead of putting fish after bio spira, I will dose it with Ammonia to see if the bacteria are fully functional. Only then will introduce fish and that too slowly.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #10
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssky View Post
Exactly, bio spira is no chemical. Its a load of bacteria that u introduce in your system instead of slowly growing it over many weeks. I don't see a reason why it should not be tried. I know many traditional Aquarists will loat h at it but this the new way of cycling your tank. First it was shrimp, then came pure ammonia and now this. IMO
It's actually been around for many years, primarily in the hands of pet stores and hardcore aquarists. They've since developed a freshwater version which is now called Tetra Safestart, and Dr. Hovanec also has his own unaffiliated line called Dr Tim's one and only.

Tags
bio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com