Bio Wheel Filter, do i REALLY need one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feelin_Salty

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 90 gal with 100lbs lr and 100lbs sand, and a refugium with 3 different types of macro algae. And of course a protien skimmer. Does a bio wheel filter just do what a refugium does or are there more benefits from having both? What's a good bio wheel filter to use on a setup like mine?

are you planning on buying the biowheel? if so, dont...it would just be wasting money in my opinion, because you've got enough rock and sand to filter the tank, and a skimmer..not to mention you already have the fuge w/3 macro in it...you've got basically all you need already i think.

ya, i forgot to add that theyr'e not good for sw. try to get about 20 lbs of lr if anything, or just get some fish or something?

ther is no need for a bio wheel the live rock will have plenty of space for bacteria plus bio wheel filters tend to up your levels of nitrates. i do have a bio wheel on my sw tank but it has no filter in it unless i need to run carbon for some reason

I agree that you dont need the bio wheel. If you have not got it yet then get some more LR instead. Sounds like you have a pretty good set up already.

Great, thanks for the good info, I just saved about $100. I have 100 snail 75 blue leg hermit crabs 2 emerald crabs, 2 sea cucumbers, a lettuce nudibranch, a copper banded butterfly fish and a skunk cleaner shrimp acclimating right now. I know I need some sand sifters in there, but I'm not real sure what else I'll NEED to have a real good quality for my tank water. Are the UV sterilizers worth the money?

I think they are but there are others who say different. I have not had ick or algea in my tank since I got one about 8 years ago. Is it because of the UV or the fact that I feed every other day or I`m careful what goes in my tank or the many other reasons. I dont know. But I`m going to keep everything like it is because it aint broke.

uv sterilizers have their up side and their down thay defiantly help with algea, ick, and other free floating parasites but that do kill anything that passes threw them good or bad

Back
Top Bottom