Biocube 14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppylover101

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is my list for my biocube 14 setup i did modify the biocube a bit i took out the chambers and my filtration would be the protein skimmer :

15 Lbs Florida Reef Rock-$40 RC 4 BL Hermit Crab-$2 RC
4 Florida Cerith Snail-$2.40 RC
4 Nassairus V Snail-$1.80 RC. P means Petco
4 Nerite Snail-$3 RC. RC means Reef Cleaners
1 Pencil Urchin-$7 RC
1 Reef Master Test Kit-$30
1 Caribsea SNA Sand-$6 P
1 AL Mini Protein Skimmer-$51 P
1 IO Bio Spira-$10 P
1 IO Marine Conditioner-$6 P
1 IO 15 lbs Aquarium Salt-$12 P
1 IO HF Epoxy SBS-$9 P
1 IO Reef Accelerator-$7 P
1 Tetra SA Heaters-$11 P
1 Digital A Thermometer-$10 P
1 OBCA Circulation Pump-$21 P
1 Firefish-$12
2 Clownfish-$30
1 Grern Chromis-$5
1 Cleaner Shrimp-$15
7 Heads Frogspawn-$70
3 Heads Duncan-$25
3 Heads Blastomusa-$15

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 67
Cool. I love biocubes and look forward to seeing your build.

However, four fish and a cleaner shrimp won't work in a tank this size (Realistically about 10 gallons).

I would get a couple of peppermint shrimp instead of a cleaner shrimp. Then choose maybe two small fish.

Okat thanks for the advice ill go with the firefish and clownfish and the peppermint shrimp also what can i do about a quarantine tank should i start qurantining the fish at the same time as my tank since they will both be done at the same time

So ill just buy a 10 gallon put in a heater and small filter add firefish and clownfish and qurantine them for about 1 month treating them with chemicals such as paragaurd for broklynellia and cupramibe for ich and pimafix and melafix for fungal treatment and last prazipro

Day1:rest day2:prazipro day7:50% waterchange and star cupramine day:14 100% waterchange and change filter carthrige and start paragaurd day21:100% waterchange new filter and star melafix and primafix day28: acclimate to biocube 14 wich just cycled and add biospira since the bioload will be for 2 fish and not 1 and then ill go from there with the peppermint shrimp and corals correct me if im wrong my 1st attempt at saltwater was 1 year ago and failed ive been doung research for 1 year and feel ready ps im only 15

Also for coral acclimation i will just use coral revive and maybe coral rx any advice on quranting invertabrates such as the cleanup crew urchin and shrimp

I personally don't quarantine inverts. Not sure what other people do. Also, you want to make sure your tank and quarantine tank are cycled. I would not medicate unless a need for doing so arises. You should also keep in mind that inverts will not tolerate some medications that fish will.

Okay thankyou so i wont qurantine inverts and will not medicate unless needed so do you think im ready to start do i know enogh to begin the hobby

I'd get a skunk cleaner 100 times out of 100 over peppermints. So much more personality and they don't go rouge like peppermints can. Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'd get a skunk cleaner 100 times out of 100 over peppermints. So much more personality and they don't go rouge like peppermints can. Just my opinion

I don't disagree. But they take up a significantly larger footprint for someone wanting multiple fish in ten gallons of water.

I don't disagree. But they take up a significantly larger footprint for someone wanting multiple fish in ten gallons of water.

No they don't, a shrimp is pretty much a shrimp. They have very little impact on bio load and either would be fine in a 10

No they don't, a shrimp is pretty much a shrimp. They have very little impact on bio load and either would be fine in a 10

I'm not referring to bioload. Cleaner shrimp have a tendency to jump on any fish within a foot of their area. Fish need territory.

Thanks for the advice bigredsreefs10 i know last time i tried to start a tank your advice really helped and things went totally wrong when i diddint follow it things went tortaly wrong so bigredsreefs10 do you think im ready to give it another go with saltwater or should i wait longer and also thanks for the advice psychcircus10

I'm not referring to bioload. Cleaner shrimp have a tendency to jump on any fish within a foot of their area. Fish need territory.

I'm not sure I understand your argument for peppermints over a skunk cleaner. I had a skunk in my 10 and my fish didn't care about him. Same goes for my fish in my 20. Heck if he tried to clean them they just swam away fairly quickly and didn't really care.

In not trying to start anything. Just from personal experience I'd do a skunk as I had no trouble with one in a 10. I've had peppermints and they're boring comparatively.

I'm not sure I understand your argument for peppermints over a skunk cleaner. I had a skunk in my 10 and my fish didn't care about him. Same goes for my fish in my 20. Heck if he tried to clean them they just swam away fairly quickly and didn't really care.

In not trying to start anything. Just from personal experience I'd do a skunk as I had no trouble with one in a 10. I've had peppermints and they're boring comparatively.

Again, I'm not necessarily disagreeing. I only see it as an issue because it seemed as though he wanted to keep as many fish as possible. When swimming away, the fish wind up in other fishes territory.
I just see peppermint shrimp as an alternative due to their smaller size and lack of interaction with the fish.
That being said I like cleaner shrimp better as well.

Edit: I keep dart frogs as well.

I think im going to go with the skunk shrimp not only for their apperance but they seem to be very interesting and i dont think there would be a problem with a clownfish and a firefish since they are both very peacefull and not much to worry about territory since the firefish is usually shy i think its okay with any of the shrimp and can i add another fish to the tank since it is modified its not 10'gallons im using but the actual 14 with the exception of the rock volume

Back
Top Bottom