Biocube 16 - cloudy???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltyReedAndRy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys - my 10 year old son Reed and I are new the hobby and we just recently finished cycling a BioCube 16 for his room. All parameters are in check. We used live sand and rock to start the cycle a while back. We had some hitch hiker snails that seem to be doing good.

So just to try things out I added a coral banded shrimp last night and woke up this morning and the water was cloudy. I did the drip method to mix water. I don't remember bumping anything, but I did have a certain cat who was studying the tank. I guess he could have bumped it at some point but it doesn't seem like it would have made the water go cloudy?

Any advice? Otherwise shrimp looks like he's good.

** One of thing I thought us was that when I was floated the bag to acclimate temp wise it raised the water level and pushed water to a part of the filter that hadn't been used very much and that could have caused?

Last edited:
If it just finished cycling it could be a bacterial bloom. I doubt it is bad unless....
Did you test the water for ammonia? Does it smell?

Yep check ammonia before I did anything with the shrimp. It was 0ppm. I'm just going to let it keep running and seeing if it clears itself up. I thought about a water change but didn't want to stir up any other things that might be going? Shrimps just chilling on the live rock.

Yeah sounds like a bacterial bloom to me. Wouldn't worry about it just monitor ammonia and if that rises definitely do a wc. Should clear itself up otherwise

Still cloudy

I was hoping the tank would have cleared up by now since it's only a biocube 16.

Gonna drive and get some water from LFS this weekend and do a water change. Any recs on amount? 15 or 25%?

:banghead:

** And it's not awful just not super clear like you'd want.

These things take time. I'd say 25, simply so you can have some spare water on hand and only do a 15. Store it as your emergency water.
While you are there, get some activated carbon to run in the system. It'll clear the bacterial bloom up.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but where do I actually put the activated carbon? Just in with the current filter?

Back
Top Bottom