BioCube 29 Next Step

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frye

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

I got my BioCube on 10/1/11 and I have a few questions about getting my tank more into a better state than it is right now.

I have the biocube protein skimmer and a 100w heater from the LFS with stock lighting. I have been changing the charcoal filters once every six weeks and am waiting to run out of them to change to a sock and charcoal to help water flow. My water has a pH of 8.3 and my ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites are all reading 0ppm.

I currently have:

Turbo Snail 1
Tongan Nassarius Snail 6
Peppermint Shrimp 2
Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab 3
Dwarf Red Leg Reef Hermit Crab 6
Wild Clowns 2
green block of Watermelon Polyps 1
Ultra Red Discosoma (Mushroom Coral Heads) 3
Emerald Crab 1
Red Zoauthids (Iodine) 6 heads
Candy Cane Coral (Alkalinity) 9 heads
Margarita Snail 3
Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crab 6

Inside my tank.

These two creatures have died thus far; a Tongan Nassarius Snail and the
Lawnmower Blenny :(. I'm not sure why the Blenny died as I have long hair grass algae growing on four of my 10 live rocks and even the Emerald Crab will bite on it.

I think that is enough for the statistics on my tank :). Let me know if there is anything I forgot as I've never made a post like this.

Onto my questions:

1. I came home from being away for two day to find my houses temperature was at 60 degrees and my tank had gone south and went to 68 degrees. I have the 100w heater set at 80 in the first chamber with the plastic piece in the middle taken out, but would like your suggestions as I'm worried it didn't work. Should I get a 150w heater for when these situations occur to make sure it doesn't happen again? What would you guys recommend for a biocube that is small as possible? Can I put it in the wet/dry chamber or is it best to stay in the first chamber?

2. I'm interested in adding a frogspawn to my tank for the clowns to host and was curious what you guys think I need to do from here to make that happen. I've been reading and it seems like it would be a good idea to upgrade my stock lighting for that. Is this because I have the wrong light wave temperatures for the coral? Anything else I should change about my tank before getting a frogspawn? How will I attach him to the rock?

3. I'm interested in adding another blenny or goby. Do you guys know which ones I should go with?

4. My last fish for this tank will be a boxfish as well. Will he need anything I don't know of?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your help :fish2:

I have had tank raised occ's and ausi black and whites. You can't make them host anything, honestly you can't really persuade them either. They pick all sorts of corals and nems to host. Mine have hosted duncans and paly polyps, mushrooms and xenia, and a huge geniopora. I also had to remove all my clowns from my reef because they tend to kill the coral. Some like it, most do not. An algae blenny requires a lot of algae, not long hair algae. Usually a tank at least a year old IME. I would stay clear of a boxfish, especially in a smaller tank. They can nuke your reef in no time if stressed and are known for doing so. They are beautiful and awesome to watch swim, but at a possible cost greater than the fish.

Hey guys,

I got my BioCube on 10/1/11 and I have a few questions about getting my tank more into a better state than it is right now.

I have the biocube protein skimmer and a 100w heater from the LFS with stock lighting. I have been changing the charcoal filters once every six weeks and am waiting to run out of them to change to a sock and charcoal to help water flow. My water has a pH of 8.3 and my ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites are all reading 0ppm.

I currently have:

Turbo Snail 1
Tongan Nassarius Snail 6
Peppermint Shrimp 2
Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab 3
Dwarf Red Leg Reef Hermit Crab 6
Wild Clowns 2
green block of Watermelon Polyps 1
Ultra Red Discosoma (Mushroom Coral Heads) 3
Emerald Crab 1
Red Zoauthids (Iodine) 6 heads
Candy Cane Coral (Alkalinity) 9 heads
Margarita Snail 3
Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crab 6

Inside my tank.

These two creatures have died thus far; a Tongan Nassarius Snail and the
Lawnmower Blenny :(. I'm not sure why the Blenny died as I have long hair grass algae growing on four of my 10 live rocks and even the Emerald Crab will bite on it.

I think that is enough for the statistics on my tank :). Let me know if there is anything I forgot as I've never made a post like this.

Onto my questions:

1. I came home from being away for two day to find my houses temperature was at 60 degrees and my tank had gone south and went to 68 degrees. I have the 100w heater set at 80 in the first chamber with the plastic piece in the middle taken out, but would like your suggestions as I'm worried it didn't work. Should I get a 150w heater for when these situations occur to make sure it doesn't happen again? What would you guys recommend for a biocube that is small as possible? Can I put it in the wet/dry chamber or is it best to stay in the first chamber?

2. I'm interested in adding a frogspawn to my tank for the clowns to host and was curious what you guys think I need to do from here to make that happen. I've been reading and it seems like it would be a good idea to upgrade my stock lighting for that. Is this because I have the wrong light wave temperatures for the coral? Anything else I should change about my tank before getting a frogspawn? How will I attach him to the rock?

3. I'm interested in adding another blenny or goby. Do you guys know which ones I should go with?

4. My last fish for this tank will be a boxfish as well. Will he need anything I don't know of?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your help :fish2:

First of that skimmer is a load of junk, it really doesnt skim anything at all. They just sell it to new ppl in the saltwater community because they know it sells and ppl will buy anything if the company reccomends it. Look into a HOB skimmer.

As far as your algae goes. Are you using RODI water for top off and mixing your saltwater? If not you need to be as freshwater (even if its conditioned) contains phosphates and silicate which will cause nuissance algae and bacteria blooms constantly. You might also want to consider adding a bag of chemipure elite to your tank, which would help out with phosphates.

You seem to have a huge CUC for 2 fish. The crabs are known snail killers so you might want to look into that.

now onto questions

1) Dont get a 150w heater, instead get a 50w or another 100w heater to add to your 100w heater. 2 is better than one in this case. As if one dies (hopefully in the off position) the other will take over for it or vise-versa. Also with 2 the water will heat faster decreasing the work load on the heating coils in the heater

2)The frogspawn is a relatively easy coral to keep, just needs T5 actinic lighting w/ med waterflow and light. As far as your clowns hosting in it that might not happen and if it does either one of two things will happen 1) everything works out fine fish and coral are happy or 2) the coral will get pissed off with someting in it and will stay closed constantly and eventually die off. That being said thats if the fish will even host in it. Usually a bubble tip nem is more popular and a more garunteed host for the clowns

3)A really easy goby that is colorful and fun to watch is the yellow watchman goby. Ive never had any problems with jumping or die off of these guys. Really great goby overall. Just have to make sure your clowns dont pick on him too much and that you have a fine sand substrate of at least a inch as gobies like to eat stuff out of the sand and burrow. If they cant burrow they usually get stressed and die.

4)Lastly the boxfish is way too big for your tank. They're overall very difficult to keep as well. They usually only eat live food and is a pain to get them to switch to frozen. Also they reach 1' or more in most cases. And the worst part of them is that they contain a toxin called ostracitoxin. If they ever get stressed or threatened they release the toxin which WILL KILL EVERYTHING in your tank. Please stay away from it. If anything get a nice reef safe flasher or fairy wrasse. they're easy to care for you just need a lid, or if you want sometihng different go with a pygmy puffer/saddle fish (you just have to watch and make sure they dont decide to eat your corals)

Hope this helps, if you have anymore questions please ask

Back
Top Bottom