Bioload and Live sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taryn2185

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gal tank with 8 small fish. (2 blue with yellow tails damsels, 1 domino damsel, 1 banggai cardinal, 2 clownfish, 2 green chromis) All the fish are very small...the banggai cardinal being the largest. How do I know if I went over the bioload?

The fish store said that I HAD to cycle my tank with fish and that is why I bought the damsels and chromis. It also has live sand but no live rock(necessary? should I buy some?)

I bought all of these "cleaning supplies" they recommended, but I'm not sure how to clean the bottom of the tank without sucking up all of the live sand I put in. Do I just keep buying more?

I'm very new at this and I think the fish store is just trying to make me spend more and more money. I just want to make sure that they are all healthy and happy little fish!

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :)

taryn2185 said:
I'm very new at this and I think the fish store is just trying to make me spend more and more money.!
No offence but if a retailer see's you are new to the hobby, they will try selling you anything and everything they can.

"Cleaning supplies" is rather general a term but you do not need anything man made to keep the tank/sandbed clean really. With the fish you have a good supply of cerith, nassarius and/or nerite snails would be about all you need for an FO tank.

taryn2185 said:
The fish store said that I HAD to cycle my tank with fish and that is why I bought the damsels and chromis. It also has live sand but no live rock(necessary? should I buy some?)
Hopefullt >>this<< article will help dispell that myth...

I would not call your tank overstocked really but I would not add anymore fish either. As far as the LR is concerned it can be a great benefit but if you can give some additional details about your 55 gal set up, that would allow for better answers...

Cheers
Steve

The fish store said that I would need algea scrapers (2 different ones-one for the seals of the aquarium and then the glass itself), this siphon vacumm thing, all this hose/tubing stuff....I really don't know what to do with it yet.

Thank you for the info about cycling without fish...I wish I would have done it that way!

As far as the live rock, right now I have just put decorations, plants, and a few coral pieces, as well as two tufa (I think that is what it is called) stones in. Would live rock be better to replace the tufa and some decoration with?

I just want to make sure that they are all okay, if I have to replace anything I will. I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything for nothing...as in what the fish store was doing to me.

As far as filters (Tetra- Whisper- is the brand for all of it), heaters, air stones, and protein skimmer...it all came in this package with the tank. The protein skimmer I haven't hooked up yet because I need the airpump, which will be this weekends project.

Do I need anything else really? I mean they seem to be fine...except for the overly excited clownfish doing laps.

As far as the snails...would the fish hurt them? Or do they just crawl around and eat algea? I don't really know much about them...

taryn2185 said:
The fish store said that I would need algea scrapers (2 different ones-one for the seals of the aquarium and then the glass itself), this siphon vacumm thing, all this hose/tubing stuff....I really don't know what to do with it yet.
If the vacuum is still in the package, return it. IME, that kind of cleaning is much more harmful than beneficial. The Algae scrapper is a good idea as you will encounter many types of stubborn algaes and coralline that the snails will not be able to eliminate. The one meant for "seals" is most likely a soft sponge or clothe brillo pad and also unneccessary. Personally I have never had any algae build up in those areas save for coralline and you will damage the silicone trying to remove that and should be left alone.

As far as the live rock, right now I have just put decorations, plants, and a few coral pieces, as well as two tufa (I think that is what it is called) stones in. Would live rock be better to replace the tufa and some decoration with?
The tufa can stay as it will serve as base rock. The decor is really up to you. Personally I think you will appreciate the astetic of the tank without it. The look of the tank is purely up to you though. The addition of the LR will serve the tank health a great deal and a purchase well worth the money. The natural filtration properties and macro fauna that comes with it (as well as a few hitchikers) will improve the tank's natural ability to deal with nitrification without the use of man made means..

I just want to make sure that they are all okay, if I have to replace anything I will. I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything for nothing...as in what the fish store was doing to me.
You need not replace anything if you don't wish to. It willoperate fine the way it is but with a few tweeks, it will operate with much less work and effort on your part. The key to a successful tank is to let nature do the work for you. The more you rely on made made toys and "fixes" the more issues that will arise.

As far as filters (Tetra- Whisper- is the brand for all of it), heaters, air stones, and protein skimmer...it all came in this package with the tank. The protein skimmer I haven't hooked up yet because I need the airpump, which will be this weekends project.
HOB filters have their place but again with the possible addition of LR you may actually be able to dispense of these or simpley remove the media and use them as water movement apparatus.

Do I need anything else really? I mean they seem to be fine...except for the overly excited clownfish doing laps.
As I said, you do not need anything but the set up as it is now will mean much more work on your part and less actual enjoyment time of your accomplishment.

As far as the snails...would the fish hurt them? Or do they just crawl around and eat algea? I don't really know much about them...
Different snails do different things. The ones I mentioned will definately be fine with the fish and neither will bother the other. Snails will take caare of a fair amount of algae issues, clean up uneaten foods and help keep the sandbed healthy and clean. Depending on the age of your tank, I would recommmned starting with about 20-25 mixed snails of the varieties mentioned. Cerith will spend most of it's time on hard surfaces for algae and just below the substrate cleaning detritus. Nassarius is great for the sandbed as it will keep it aerated to a small degree, eat detritus, uneaten foods and to a small degree algaes. The nerite will primarily focus on hard sufaces for algaes.

If your worried about what you've heard concerning FW snails that bread out of control, you will not have that problem with SW snails. Many that do bread and actually survive beyond eggs rarely live that long due to predation from fish and other unseen foe's, not to mention the equipment.

HTH
Cheers
Steve

Another victim of LFS marketing. Two algae scrapers eh? Are those left handed or right handed algae scrapers?

You can use the gravel vac to shoot ping pong balls or beat your LFS over the head with....but not much else for about...oh....a year or so until your sand bed matures. Considering you have no LR the sand bed will be your only biological filter, which means clening it frequently now will likely disrupt your bio filter and cause more problems, so either way you lose.

OK, so we are all in agreement that you need LR with sand, and you already have the sand. I can't emphasize enough that LR is greatest addition for marine aquaria since possibly electricity and indoor plumbing. The problem is that adding LR at this point will cause some cycling effects because it will go through a break-in. The degree of which depends on how mature the rock is.

You've got two choices as far as I'm concerned. Add 25-40lbs of LR at one time, and be ready to take the non-damsel fish back to the store if your ammonia starts spiking, or add a few pounds of LR every couple of weeks and prolong the agony for 6months. If this were me, I'd compromise and get 20lbs of LR, wait three weeks, and then 10-20lbs more depending on how much space you have left and personal preference. Either technique means watching your ammo levels like a hawk until a few weeks after you add the last rock.

I personally think this will get you on track a lot faster than the pile of rubbish your LFS sold you.

The good thing is that the rocks you have in the tank will eventually become LR. It is just that the LR you buy from the store will have a greater diversity of life on it. Either way, any really porous rock will be a great place for bacteria to grow.

I would also remove all of the media from the HOB filter and just use it as water movement.

Snails are a great idea, and possible some small hermit crabs as well. You could easily have 20 or more snails and hermit crabs in that tank with no problem. Even more once you have rocks for them.

LR is also a great place to place corals if you want them. But be aware that since you have a "kit" that was really meant for freshwater (you can tell by most of the stuff that came with it) you will most likely not have near enough light for most corals. If there comes a time that you wish to have corals then I would suggest you ask some questions here first, to save you the headache of watching your expensive corals die off.

Good luck and youi fish choice sounds nice. A lot of people don't like the damsels but I think they are great (often mean little guys though). LR will help them be less aggressive as they will have places to hide.

Thanks so much guys! All the information helped so much! I added 20 lbs. of live rock waited two days and had the water tested and I think it will go back down. The ammonia was a little high but nothing major...the guys at the fist store who I've come to not really trust said that it was just natural and there was nothing to worry about.

But for right now everything going on in San Diego I've just made sure no ash gets into the air inside...which is a job in itself.

Thanks again for all your advice!!

Back
Top Bottom