Biorb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hatchie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am thinking about starting a salt water Aquarium. I am in love with a bubble aquarium. I actually got the idea from the Transformer movie. The best thing out their I can find is a biorb. The only problem with this tank is I want to grow Coral. I am looking for help here. I think lighting is going to be a big issue. There is a Intelligent led light you can get, but would this be enough to grow coral? If not does anyone know of a lighting system that would work with the biorb tanks?

The light is not the issue that I see, my issue is that I haven't seen biorbs bigger than a few gallons. Alot can go wrong in a tank that small and fast. I'm not saying that it would be impossibe, it's just that you would have to watch the parameters (spelling?) like a hawk. As for the light I'm sure there's a DIY way out or there may be other fixtures that will hang over it as well but won't look pleasing.

Small tanks are one thing, but I can't imagine keeping a marine tank in a Biorb. IMO there is nothing about the design of a Biorb that lends itself to a successful marine tank (woefully inadequate lighting, cheap undergravel filter, and I'd imagine gas exchange would be a huge issue as well).

If you're looking for a sleek, all-in-one look, maybe you would enjoy a kit like a Biocube, Nanocube, or Aquapod. These tanks are easy to set up and maintain, and they are made for low-tech reef applications. The models with the PC lighting are adequate without modification for many soft corals and some LPS.

Back
Top Bottom