Blacjk paint for rear glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am in the process of up-sizing my 46gal reef tank to a newer 72 gal tank. I would like to paint the rear glass black, which I did not do on my original tank.

Is there a preferred paint for this application?

What is the recommended method to prepare and/or clean the glass in preperation of the paint?

i have painted about 30 tanks in my time in the hobby, i have used latex based paints with a brush, roller and pad, and i have used various kinds of spray paint. all work fine and theres nothing i have found thats better or worse.

prepping the glass is simple, it just needs to be clean and dry. some people mask off the rim of the tank to kep splatter off, but i think thats about all thats needed. I like to do something like 3 coats with brush on paint, more like 4 or 5 with a spraypaint.

hope this helps

I prefer spray paint for it ease of use and flawless application. One can will do the back of a 75 gallon. If done correctly no runs or drips. Key is to start spraying before you reach the tank and continue past the tank. Lay down a tack coat first. Then go back and add a coat and repeat. Don't get too close to the tank and just continously move the spray can back and forth. Takes a little more care in prep but a newspaper and masking tape ready to go. As far as brand I have used them all and to be honest not much difference in quality or price for that matter. Last few tanks have used Krylon Fushion.

If you do not want a permanent background you can purchase thin acrylic from Home Depot, Lowes, etc. and spray paint it and apply to the outside.

I bought a piece of coraplast for for about $25. It comes in 6' sheets, you can buy an array of colors. Its stiff so easy to cut and attach to the back. Plus, easy to change out if I decide to change background colors at some point. I was worried about the paint peeling or flaking down the road.

Back
Top Bottom