blackout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colorblindpicas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When the computers, lights and fish tanks come back on I hope everyone in the northeast managed to keep everything alive, and themselves safe and healthy! I’m sure all of us reading the forums tonight are thinking about you guys.

Christopher

We lost power in most of central Texas (TX is on its own power grid separated from the other two US grids) for a few hours earlier this year and life almost couldn’t go on. Roof-top solar PV cells anyone?

Christopher

*waves* my house itself wasn't affected, thankfully, but I did get to come home an hour early from work! :eek:) couldn't get online though as my ISP apparently didn't have power. locally we weren't really affected much... just inconvenienced.

Thanks for the thoughts!

I lost power for 12 hours. I do not have battery powered air pumps and all the stores were closed or inaccessible. So, I used a pitcher to take water out of the tank and dump it back in like 3 x an hour. I was ecstatic when the power went on. And I'm going to order some battery air pumps and the batterys to go with it and keep them in a safe place for the next time.

It was more stressful on me than the fish they fell asleep as soon as the light went out, meanwhile I'm looking at the clock every fifteen minutes wondering when the power is going to come back on. Let this be a lesson: preparation is key. I don't know how long it would take for the oxygen to deplete, but I was nervous as "heck."

To all of my other NE Power Grid Brothers and Sisters... I hope your situation turned out as well as mine.

My power went out for about 13 hours. I had to come into work first thing this morning to get the systems back on line so i havnt had the chance to really take a look at my tank. I have 4\5gal buckets with RO water waiting for me when i get home. Wish me luck. :roll:

Sorry i didnt update sooner, but i didnt have any major losses :mrgreen: None of my corals are very happy right now, bleached candy, and frogspawn and my shooms arent opening. But i hope that they get better. I have a few more empty snail and dwarf hermit shells than i did, but that is to be expected. I didnt feed the tank till after i got home and I did a 15gal+ water change and kept the lights off for a while on my main tank. I did a 35% water cahnge on the QT. I lost 1 molly and my sons goldfish didnt make it :( Oh well.

Tested my water last night (FYI I started using IO a week ago).

Temp 82F
Amonia-----0
PH---------8.2
Nitrite-------0
Nitrate-----15
Alk---------12.5Dkh
Cal---------350

I added 20cc of B-Ionic Ca. last night after testing.

When trying to correct an imbalance of that nature, it is important to know the Mg level. If it is low, you can add all the CA you want and it wont raise it much higher than it is.

Back
Top Bottom