Bleach?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeenReefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bleached some of my tan rocks (not live rock obviously) because of the algea on them. I have done this before with my plastic plants in my tank without any effects on the organisms in the tank. I used 2 cap fulls in an icecram bucket. I have rinsed them a few times and let them dry out in the sun afterward, but im worried some bleach water has been absorbed into the rock? Should i put these rocks back into the tank, or wait longer?? They dont smell of bleach. Thanks for any advice!

Leave them in the sun for 5-6 days (if they have not already been there that long) and you should be fine.

After that soak them for a day or so and then get real close and smell your water. If the least bit of bleach is there you will know.

You should leave your rock in your tank and let the algae propogate on it. It will eventually turn purple if you have appropriate lighting. Just a suggestion.

As far as bleaching your rock - soak a day, dry for two, soak in RO water for a day, dry for another, place into tank.

Melos, good suggestion. :)

Either way, when the bleach has dried it turns into perfectly safe salt (NaCl). ;)

Back
Top Bottom