Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Bleh- Green Bubble Algae

So to my horror I have a rock with 3 bubbles of green algae. Nothing crazy but it's still there. lol

How do I remove it? If i try to take it out won't it burst and spread it all over? That's what I've gotten from my reading on the subject.

any hints or ideas how to remove?

Thanks so much for your time!

Old 07-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well you know how much I know lol, but id say use a vacuum and some kinda scraping tool...maybe..

Old 07-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm kinda scared to scrape it off, I dont want it to spread. lol I only have the 3 spots on the one rock right now and I'd like to keep it that way. LOL

I'm due a pwc this weekend so maybe I can try to suck it up with the vacuum hose. New things to learn about constantly in this hobby. lol Learning the hard way usually is my luck. hehe
Old 07-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well sometimes that's the best way, because you deff. Know why not to do somthing lol
Old 07-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I also have quite a few in my sump but didn't find much information on removing them. So I ended up just carefully picking off the big ones by hand with out popping them. But I am also curious what's the best way.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, I have learned a couple things the hard way. Like a qt tank.
and to research EVERY fish i intend on putting in my tank. This bubble stuff is gross and I have no idea what to do with it. Guess I should pay more attention to threads that are about issues I DON'T have yet, as I'm sure someone has addressed this green bubble stuff before.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
when i was transfering stuff to my new tank i found like 20 bubble algae hiding on my branching frogspawn i just plucked them off
Old 07-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had one and I carefully took hold of it and gently twisted it off. Just don't pop them!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had some, removed most, popped one. A week later, they were on just about every piece of rock and coral. They're alot hardier than most other algae. Lights and parameters aren't as efficient with BA due to it's ability to survive on little to no nutrients. I've started to vaccuum them up while doing PWC. And if I accidentally pop one, I'd like to think that I suck up all little baby bubble algae. As far as I know, plucking is the only way to erradicate them. Good Plucking!
Old 07-28-2011, 11:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dang..sounds tedious lol

Tags
algae, bubble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com