Bleh- Green Bubble Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
So to my horror I have a rock with 3 bubbles of green algae. Nothing crazy but it's still there. lol

How do I remove it? If i try to take it out won't it burst and spread it all over? That's what I've gotten from my reading on the subject.

any hints or ideas how to remove?

Thanks so much for your time! :-D

I'm kinda scared to scrape it off, I dont want it to spread. lol I only have the 3 spots on the one rock right now and I'd like to keep it that way. LOL

I'm due a pwc this weekend so maybe I can try to suck it up with the vacuum hose. New things to learn about constantly in this hobby. lol Learning the hard way usually is my luck. hehe

I also have quite a few in my sump but didn't find much information on removing them. So I ended up just carefully picking off the big ones by hand with out popping them. But I am also curious what's the best way.

Yeah, I have learned a couple things the hard way. Like a qt tank. :)
and to research EVERY fish i intend on putting in my tank. This bubble stuff is gross and I have no idea what to do with it. Guess I should pay more attention to threads that are about issues I DON'T have yet, as I'm sure someone has addressed this green bubble stuff before. :)

when i was transfering stuff to my new tank i found like 20 bubble algae hiding on my branching frogspawn i just plucked them off

I had some, removed most, popped one. A week later, they were on just about every piece of rock and coral. They're alot hardier than most other algae. Lights and parameters aren't as efficient with BA due to it's ability to survive on little to no nutrients. I've started to vaccuum them up while doing PWC. And if I accidentally pop one, I'd like to think that I suck up all little baby bubble algae. As far as I know, plucking is the only way to erradicate them. Good Plucking!

Glad I only have a couple, I'll get on them this week end. LOL Just remove without popping, gotcha!

Thanks guys :-D

What would happen if you took the rock out of the tank and scraped it off and use a lighter to burn the spot it was on? Sounds like the easiest way to take it out. Also how do you pluck them off? Do they just pop off?

Easier said than done...when you have 90+ pounds of rock in your tank and fish that have their "homes", taking it all out to pluck would be difficult. I tried it when it was only on my top rocks, but now I have a few on my lowest rocks that support the whole mumbo jumbo. For me, I'll suck out what I can. It's not harmful, just unsightly to some. Most who look at my tank ask, " what are those cool green ball looking things?". unless they completely cover everything...then I'll freak out.

I forgot to add Carey! Emerald crabs are known to eat bubble algae. Even if you don't have more than a few bubbles, they'll help control it so it doesn't get out of hand.

Well my 4 emeralds took out all the algae in about 2 days. lol Now I cant find 3 of the crabs....everything gets so lost in this tank hehehe....

I have 2 somewhere in mine. Every once in a while I see both at the same time.

I should have two in mine but I rarely see just even one...very sneaky crabs

Back
Top Bottom