Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-17-2003, 04:23 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to thorn Send a message via Yahoo to thorn
I've had a bunch of damsels (domino, yellow tail, green chromis, lemon, blue devil) and only one (yellow tail) was super agressive, so much so that I had to keep him alone. In the end, I think it just comes down to the fish... sometimes a normally passive fish will just be mean - and vice versa.

thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 04:31 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
I purchased a few Damsels for my tank to cycle it when I first set it up. Well, here it is 3 months later and now my velvet damsel is becoming a real jerk! He was mellow at first, but now he chases everything thats in the tank. I have two yellow tailed that are mellow and so is the 5 stripe damsel. However Mr. Velvet is in for a rude awakening. My old lady wont let me get rid of it cause its her favorite fish and is one of the nicest looking fish I have had. unfortunately for him, I just aquired a Niger Trigger thats about 3 times the size of it, and it would be tragic if he became a late night snack... Lets see what happens... If this dont work, I may have to get a lionfish

Remember... It's only Paranoia if your wrong.

Why Settle For The Lesser Evil! Vote Cthulhu!

Live in Nevada? Visit the Nevada Regional Forum at http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewfo...dcb6a37297e562
CountZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 07:24 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
I also have a electric blue damsel and if a shotgun wasn't so messy...well. The only fish he leaves alone is my percula's
Jim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 08:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to astride13
I have one blue damsel that I kept only because the others picked on him. I did the cycle with damsels because the LFS said that was the best way. (since then I have been using the various fishless methods) They all had their own rock and would all pick on each other. Only one blue damsel didn't pick on any other fish, but always got picked on by the others. I returned all but the little blue one to the fish store after my cycle. I felt bad for him, so I kept him. For now all my fish get along, but I will never buy a damsel again.
astride13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 11:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
I am against damsels. The only way I could get mine out was to take out the rockwork... i had a small yellow tail and a blue devil in teh very begininng... didn't even want to chance it with my new fish
125 gal mixed REEF
PrettyFishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 09:32 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist
in my experience with the velvet damsel, you will find as it gets older it will get meaner and meaner and the bright colors it displays when young, will quickly fade and turn a dull ugly color. So you'll have yourself an ugly mean fish.
125gal. megaflow. Fish Residents:
Yellow Tang -(Junior), Flame Angel -(Flamey)
Bicolor Blenny -(Butch), Randall Jawfish -(Jaws)
Lawnmower Blenny -(Lenny), Talbot's Damsel -(Dottie), Tomato Clown -(Ketchup)
Nameless fish include, Neon Blenny, Singapore Shrimp Goby, Yellow Tail Damsel, 1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimps, purple pseudochromis.
gfishguy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 12:30 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to toddwess
Originally Posted by BBReef
i hate damsels. though sometimes pretty to look at, they get pretty territorial and chase and nip at everything. when i got mine i was told that it would only be aggressive to other damsel fish of the same kind, nope, not mine. it chases my yellow and blues tangs like no other, especially when fed. ive been trying to catch it for weeks now but havnt had any success. anyone know of a good way of catching it?
I hate them too. Mine killed two yellow tangs. One of them was only the size of a quarter. I had to remove all of the LR, and then chase him around the tank for about an hour to finally catch him.

I then sent him back to the sea . . .

toddwess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 02:19 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist
Damsels are controversial because of their tendency to be the first in a tank (cycling) and then take to their territory pretty firmly when other fish are added. Personally I think there are better options to cycle a tank; lots of hermit crabs, gobies, etc., that won't become as obnoxious as these critters can become and are easier to catch.

Still, I'm a bit perplexed by some of the scenarios mentioned above. Maybe it's just my luck, but all the yellow tangs I've had were meaner than a snake and woulnd't take guff from a trigger let alone a damsel. I've also found the three stipe and domino damsel (very similiar fish) to be the most pugnacious of the bunch an far worse than blue devils.

I've kept damsels simply because of their contrasting good looks with dwarf angels and clowns, and found them pretty unable to bother these fish. It would take a pretty bold damsel to start something with a cherub angel or even small maroon clowfish. The most pugnacious fish I've had as of late was a yellow psuedochromis which was far worse than any damsel I've had.

I like the trigger idea above in terms of having a 'biologically friendly' alternative to catching the things. The Niger trigger is a bit passive, but a Huma-Huma (Picasso) trigger that's been neglected dinner for a few days will take care of the problem in short order. The 2-litre bottle combined with a late night ambush is the nest easiest way to catch the little monsters.
wseaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 03:26 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
Well, my LFS won't even sell me damsels. However, for my first fish, we went with the Green Chromis. Active, kind, and look really cool when you have a lot of light!!

Woo Hoo, PAYDAY! Time to pay the LFS rent (even before I pay mine )

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote

damsel, damsels

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com