Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-13-2003, 05:18 PM   #1

Blue damsels

Anyone know how to differentiate a so-called Orange Tail Damsel from the Fiji Blue Devil Damsel?

Also, any experience with adding either to a tank that has a Butterfly, Mandarin Fish, Yellow Tang and Chalk Basslets?

Thanks.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:24 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

A fiji blue devil is actually blue and gold, an orange tailed damsel has an orange tail rather than yellow. I also think that the orange tail doesn't have as much (if any) orange on it's underside, where a blue devil has a yellow undeside.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 03:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

i hate damsels. though sometimes pretty to look at, they get pretty territorial and chase and nip at everything. when i got mine i was told that it would only be aggressive to other damsel fish of the same kind, nope, not mine. it chases my yellow and blues tangs like no other, especially when fed. ive been trying to catch it for weeks now but havnt had any success. anyone know of a good way of catching it?
Old 10-14-2003, 01:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

my damsel killed my baby regal tang last night. i really want to get him out now. any ideas? please help.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:39 PM   #5

I think mine is the Fiji Blue Devil...bright blue, yellow underneath, orange tail with blue on the perimeter outlining the tail.

I sure would like to avoid dismantling the tank to get rid of it. Is their aggressiveness usually apparent soon after they are in the tank, or could they become aggressive even much later? So far, no obvious signs of aggressiveness.

And is it any more likely that they might not be disruptive if they are the only damsel in the tank?

Im probably just doing a lot of wishful thinking. Id love to get it out of there, but attempts at netting didn't work and tearing down the whole reef is something I am hesistant to do if there's a chance it might adapt peaceably.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

well i finally caught the **** thing. made my own little homemade fish trap out of a two liter bottle and it worked great. i caught my two cleaner shrimp, baby yellow tang and finally the blue damsel within 5 min great way to catch fish

i would leave it in there until you see it actually start chasing and picking on other fish. if you dont have any other fish in there now and are planning on adding some, i would definitly try to take it out before adding the fish. itll most likely get territorial and fight with it.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

how did ya keep him in the bottle kinda lost me there ? did ya just cut the neck off and plant food inside and just grab it as soon as he was in it ?
Old 10-16-2003, 04:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

i cut the top a little more than half way up, then cut the threading off of the top to make the hole a little bigger, then put the top half inside the bottom half so they could get in easily be not out. basicaly looked just like a fish trap you could buy, just made out of a two liter bottle.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I must have the best luck with damsels ever, because my blue, yellow tail, and canary damsel all get along and they've been together for at least 2 years. i also have a yellow tang, flame angel, 5 chromis's, and 2 false percula clowns, and everybody gets along. the only skirmishes are when the damsels ocassionally venture into the royal dottyback's small back corner of the tank, he chases them out and everybody proceeds with life, waiting for food to fall from the sky. I hope i didnt just jinx myself.
Lawnmower Blenny -(Lenny), Talbot's Damsel -(Dottie), Tomato Clown -(Ketchup)
Nameless fish include, Neon Blenny, Singapore Shrimp Goby, Yellow Tail Damsel, 1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimps, purple pseudochromis.
gfishguy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 05:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

lol i wish i had that same luck. my damsel is a very bright bl;ue with a nice looking tail and nice black trim and markings, but i cant stand it attacking my other fish anymore.

Tags
damsel, damsels

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com