Blue Hippo Tangs in a 90G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
heres a question, if i plan to get a bigger tank down the road, can i get a hippo tang? I mean, if she is small then she is ok in a 90 right? I guess i want to know why there is a problem, not just "nope, don't do it"

I suppose you could, but the Tang may grow faster than you think, and need a larger tank sooner than you think. Just be prepared, you may have to upgrade sooner than you want. If a fish is kept in a tank that is too small for them, it can stunt their growth, which isn't good. Sorry about your situation. What about a Royal Gramma? They are perfect for your tank, are colorful, and from Nemo! :) if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask! :)

I suppose you could, but the Tang may grow faster than you think, and need a larger tank sooner than you think. Just be prepared, you may have to upgrade sooner than you want. If a fish is kept in a tank that is too small for them, it can stunt their growth, which isn't good. Sorry about your situation. What about a Royal Gramma? They are perfect for your tank, are colorful, and from Nemo! :) if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask! :)

I like those Gramma's... but back to dori :) How fast do they grow? If i get one that is 1-2 inches, are we talking years or months till it has outgrown the tank?

Bloomk said:
I like those Gramma's... but back to dori :) How fast do they grow? If i get one that is 1-2 inches, are we talking years or months till it has outgrown the tank?

Good question, I am not sure on the growth rate though, I will do some research now. I will respond as soon as I can! :)

Can't find any good solid info. I was reading that it does depend on your tank setup, water conditions, food etc.

Last edited:
It does not make any difference how big they are. You have the info in front of you and you keep trying to see if we will give you some hope. I already provided the information to you. The problem is that as they grow bigger they start to have stress related problems. Here is a thread that I asked about putting a yellow tang in too small of a gtank. This guy is who I deem one of the best people when it comes to SW. You can read what he said. Not trying to be ugly but Blue tang equals 180 gallons no matter how you slice it. The question is are you going to be responsible to your tankmates. Here is that thread

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/yellow-tang-in-a-55g-52207.html

I have seen them in person triple in size in under a year...They grow very fast...
IMHO,,that minimum tank size on the Drs..site is a bit tricky...I mean it says 100 gallons ,,,very odd size,,i think they know most people don't have 100's,,,rather 125's ,,,which is what i think a yellow belongs in...I know many ,many people do it ,but its just my opinion

As far as the blue tang goes...even if you get a small one and put it in now and then trade it later, you are really jeopardizing the rest of your livestock. Blue tangs get ich faster than any other fish I've seen because they stress so easily. It will definitely create a headache.

ok, i get it.. :) but a yellow tang is ok eventually in my 90 Gallon? Cause if i can have "Bubbles" then only one fish on my list is a no-go.. and i can deal with that :)

IMO, a yellow tang will be ok in a 90g. Just try to find a small one. They are pretty hardy, compared to the blue tangs, and definitely more interesting to watch :)

If you want something nice and Vibrant, you should take a look at Flame Angels which are a nice red with blue tip tails, or a coral beauty dwarf angle. Mind you, you can only have one or the other, they are both absolutely beautiful fish and will fit in your tank and are reef safe.

I already have nemo :). Want a yellow tang, a couple colorful shrimp, a couple fire fish, I have my eye on a foxface, and finally my kids want a puffer fish (the exact species is unknown yet)

Oh, and can't forget, I LOVE corals. Soft corals especially. Basically, colorfull and different. I grew up around fresh water tanks. Boring!! I like things that are obviously not fresh water :)

A foxface would be okay just mind that there spines are poisonous, you mentioned the tank was inspired by your kids, i know the likely hood of them sticking there hand in the tank is low but for the 1 in a million shot it does happen keep that in mind.
But the harsh reality is on puffer fish is there arent any truly reef safe puffer fish. Mainly because puffer fish eat shrimp and they will absolutely destroy an shrimp you get. And Dogface puffers get pretty big along side being not reef safe.

Maybe some butterfly fish? I like almost all that I see.

I haven't found and or read about a butterfly fish that is completely reef safe. But some can be reed safe with caution, with caution meaning they may go after some of your invertebrates, Like a Saddleback or a yellow longnose. They are reef safe with caution. Again, caution usually means theres a good chance they will go after something

A foxface can get real ugly if you like vivid colors. Resting or stressed, they get a very ugly brownish/yellowish color that you will not like. It'll get stressed easily by a yellow tang in its living space with a similar shape and color.

i guess i am realizing i like pretty much any fish that is yellow in color.. maybe there is one that fits this description that will work that you guys know of?

Back
Top Bottom