blue lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessicaAnnGwynne

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I have recently started my first marine tank, i went to my local pet store earlier on today and the man that worked said i didnt need a blue light for a basic tank (i only have a 19litre tank) is this true and if it is what corals ect can i put in it?
Thanks

Welcome to AA glad you found us here :) . Now when you say blue lights do you mean actinics or moonlights? For a fowlr (fish only with live rock) tank the lighting will just depend on what you prefer, but when it comes to corals you will need to cover the correct spectrums with the right kinds of lighting to produce the correct intensity which you would get from either t5s, LEDs, or metal halide.

Hi Welcome to the forum.

I wouldnt waste your money on cheap lighting units if you want to keep corals. Lights can be one of the most expensive purchases when building a reef aquaria.

Can you upload a picture of your tank and current set up?

Hi. Yer thats why i wanted to check first before i went ahead and purchased it.
I dont have much in there at the moment only started about a week ago. It has a built in filter
ForumRunner_20130122_191913.jpg

Not yet although i had the water off my father out of his small tank because hes upgraded to a bigger one. The water cycled in his tank

It's not the water that goes through a cycle its your filtration. The water wont make a difference whatsoever.

My advice to you would be to spend a little time on researching how to set up a saltwater tank. Youtube and this site is great for advice.

Back
Top Bottom