Blue tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caitlynnanne9189

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just looking into a SW tank but I know a few fish I definitely will want!

1) blue tang
2) clown fish
3) Picasso triggerfish
4) butterfly fish

What size tank should I be looking into starting?

caitlynnanne9189 said:
Just looking into a SW tank but I know a few fish I definitely will want!

1) blue tang
2) clown fish
3) Picasso triggerfish
4) butterfly fish

What size tank should I be looking into starting?

This would be about a 6 foot tank, so 150-180 gallons. Its a bummer the cool fish need huge tanks right?

The clown you could put in a 20! Maybe look into that, as very few people especially beginners, get such large tanks

Gboy66 said:
This would be about a 6 foot tank, so 150-180 gallons. Its a bummer the cool fish need huge tanks right?

The clown you could put in a 20! Maybe look into that, as very few people especially beginners, get such large tanks

Darn! I was looking into a 120 gallon tank found on on CL for a geat deal but was a little nervous of the size! Guess I'll just have to keep looking! I think once I have the room I'll definitely have a 150 or larger! I think I'm going to start with a 55 or 75 gallon. I have a 55 gallon that I might be able to get for dirt cheap. The person said I just want rid of it! Lol

caitlynnanne9189 said:
Darn! I was looking into a 120 gallon tank found on on CL for a geat deal but was a little nervous of the size! Guess I'll just have to keep looking! I think once I have the room I'll definitely have a 150 or larger! I think I'm going to start with a 55 or 75 gallon. I have a 55 gallon that I might be able to get for dirt cheap. The person said I just want rid of it! Lol

Lol! Well measure the 120 in length! If it is 6', i say go for it.

Gboy66 said:
Lol! Well measure the 120 in length! If it is 6', i say go for it.

It's only 200 for tank and stand! If I buy it it will definitely sit in the garage for a while but I can't pass that up. I'll see if I can contact the guy and get some measurements as its a 2 hour drive from my house.

It's very important that it's a 6 foot tank, that way you could even have more than one tang. :-D I have 3 in my 125g reef.

carey said:
It's very important that it's a 6 foot tank, that way you could even have more than one tang. :-D I have 3 in my 125g reef.

I will definitely make sure! I really want a blue tang!

They are awesome! i have a blue tang, a yellow and a tomini. they all get along fine but the yellow can be a bit of a bully. lol

carey said:
They are awesome! i have a blue tang, a yellow and a tomini. they all get along fine but the yellow can be a bit of a bully. lol

I read a post on here that they can be! That's ok with me since I really want the blue ones! Lol

I kinda want a nemo tank. Is there any puffer that's compatible with the blue tang a 2 clown dish. Dk what kind yet

I'm not good with puffers, sorry. lol

What size tank are you aiming for? And when? That blue tang really needs his 6 feet of swim room they can get pretty large.

I had a Valentini Puffer with two clowns and he did great. Minded his own business and no other fish bothered him. Great fish. Very vibrant colors.

Sergie said:
I had a Valentini Puffer with two clowns and he did great. Minded his own business and no other fish bothered him. Great fish. Very vibrant colors.

Awesome thanks!

carey said:
I'm not good with puffers, sorry. lol

What size tank are you aiming for? And when? That blue tang really needs his 6 feet of swim room they can get pretty large.

I really don't have a true limit. Its about what the fish I want need. This will be a long process. I will probably just stalk CL till I find a perfect deal that's close and then put it in the garage and build it up slowly.

120g is 4ft long. That's usually the case when you're living in the states.

Hum ok! So I may have to skip on that one! I'll keep looking though.
Patience is rewarding ,,CL is a gold mine for used aquaria .Especially if you don't mind driving a little ways..I got a 125 brand new a few years ago ,drove 3 hours to get it.. just last year i got a 280 ,drove about 2 hours to get it...I say hold out and go big..If you want those fish for life your gonna need a very large tank,do it in one shot so your not upgrading when your tang and puffer is a foot +..JMO...

FTMMWS said:
Patience is rewarding ,,CL is a gold mine for used aquaria .Especially if you don't mind driving a little ways..I got a 125 brand new a few years ago ,drove 3 hours to get it.. just last year i got a 280 ,drove about 2 hours to get it...I say hold out and go big..If you want those fish for life your gonna need a very large tank,do it in one shot so your not upgrading when your tang and puffer is a foot +..JMO...

Very Good advice! The tank is 72 long but idk..it will sit in my garage for quite a while if I do it now but it is only 200 so idk. I'm gonna keep thinking cuz I may be able to skip the tang but I really do love them!

All i know is most of us are never truly satisfied :lol: We always want a bigger tank...Especially if theres really no limit ,like you said..
When i got my 125 i swore it was my last upgraded ,now i have a 280..
I'm already visioning my next one ..Its a sickness i tell ya:lol:,plus having a very understanding spouse goes a long way..

FTMMWS said:
All i know is most of us are never truly satisfied :lol: We always want a bigger tank...Especially if theres really no limit ,like you said..
When i got my 125 i swore it was my last upgraded ,now i have a 280..
I'm already visioning my next one ..Its a sickness i tell ya:lol:,plus having a very understanding spouse goes a long way..

Hehe he thinks I'm a bit crazy but won't tell me no :) he is kinda happy I have things I like to occupy my time with like he does for his motorcycle and dirt bike lol.

What size tank do you recommend for a full grown tang. I really love them and I do want the extra room just in case I fall in love! I'm sure you know how that goes! Lol

Hmm,,well the blue/regal can get huge ,,one of the biggest next to the naso's and they tend to grow fast..I never owned one but have seen a buddies grow almost overnight ...I wouldn't go under 180 gallons simply because of the width ..a 125 is 6 feet long but only 18 inches wide ..a 180 gives you a 6 x 2 footprint..doesn't seem like much but once its filled with rock its a big difference ...I bet you'll be able to find something even bigger, 250 + would be my starting point ,especially if you want a puffer too.. Are you near any bigger cities ..i see your in Florida,,i lived in Jacksonville for a few years ,,nice place

Back
Top Bottom