blue tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christy1430

Aquarium Advice Activist
i no many of you may think that the LFS is crazy. But they had a blue tang which was maybe!! half an inch. Probably less. I was talking to him about it and he told me it would be fine in a 12g. in the back of my head i was like yeah i wish! Did not buy the fish. But wen i got home iwas thinking to myself. What would u guys think if i were to buy him and put him in the 12 just for a little till he gets a little bigger. Then move him to my 29g when he gets even bigger. And then to my brother 55.

You guys may think im out of my mind. But "the stupid question is the question not asked"

He wont be happy in even a 55...they need a lot of room to swim. IMO less then 100 is too small for the blue tang....assuming you are talking about a Hippo Tang...

Blue tangs I guess you mean Blue Hippo tang, are notorius for being ick magnets esp if you take them out of their lots of swimming room mode. Every time you make the move to stress this fish out by moving him to another you take the chance of parasites and disease. Even at 1/2 an inch a 12 gallon is nowhere near the room they need. Read this post from a guy that I considered an expert on a question I asked about fish too small for their enviornment.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=54268&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

thank you! i will read it noww

i dont want to sound ignorant. but many say a yellow tang should be in a 55 maybe bigger. One of my early mistakes was i out my yellow tang in my 29. It has lived in their since day 1 and has not had any problems. Why is this the case?

I have seen cases like that before where people have said the same thing but then months down the road we get a post that says " Why did my yellow tang die". See when a fish is under stress they dont always show it right away. It takes time to develope but make no mistake it is developing. Then all of a sudden the fish has some unknown disease like ick or HLLE or even death. All because of mysterious circumstances. The fishes envionment caught up with it IMO. I see it all the time.

i had for gotten to mention.. it has been in that tank for close to two years now. Hopefully it will not run into one of these problems. I may be taking him out. he just seems very happy in the tank always swimming throught the caves and rocks.

thank you so much for the help. i dont want you to think i am going agaisnt anything you are saying because i agree he should not be in the tank. Rookie Mistake

Back
Top Bottom