Blue throat trigger eating problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pizza101

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,
I bought this blue throat trigger a week ago and he hasn't eaten anything. I have been feeding them (all fish) brine shrimp with spirlina and he won't eat it :(. Yesterday I bought some krill at the LPS that they recommended cause his size (6 inches) and he won't eat it... Any ideas folks? He is really healthy looking and is all over the tank swimming...

Try bloodworms and mysis shrimp, and see if he'll go for those. Did you see him eat at the store?

I didn't, I fought him I'n the wild and he is very acclimated to the tank but he was free and now imprisoned I'n my tank!

Pizza101 said:
I didn't, I fought him I'n the wild and he is very acclimated to the tank but he was free and now imprisoned I'n my tank!

Then definitely try live mysis shrimp and live bloodworms, but he may not even go for those. You'll have to go all live, if you aren't already, in order to get him to eat.

Try squid. I'm not kidding, whenever I go to the sea of cortez I always end up with a trigger on the line when I use fresh raw squid. The live fish usually get eaten by sea bass and snappers.

Sarcothelia said:
Try squid. I'm not kidding, whenever I go to the sea of cortez I always end up with a trigger on the line when I use fresh raw squid. The live fish usually get eaten by sea bass and snappers.

I like that idea! Most of my fish I have bagged by scuba diving and they all eat frozen so I'd like to stay away from live for now

I'd still try to get it fresh from the store. The squid I used was freshly caught Humboldt from an hour earlier. Worth a shot trying frozen though :p

All my triggers like a little strip of squid ( ... Or anything else for that matter) he might just need some time to readjust to his new gigs

Give him time. Brine shrimp are really too small for a 6" trigger. Get him some mysis, or fresh clam meat.

Back
Top Bottom