bottled water ok??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
So say I can't run out n get some RO water... would bottled water be okay to use?

I have to take out some water due to high salinity so I was just wondering. Thanks!

No, some is labelled "spring " water, which will have minerals in it. Some is labelled " drinking " water, which will have some humanly tolerable amounts of probably chlorine and other things. Distilled is collected through an evaporation process, and should be free of these " contaminants".

Flreefer said:
No, some is labelled "spring " water, which will have minerals in it. Some is labelled " drinking " water, which will have some humanly tolerable amounts of probably chlorine and other things. Distilled is collected through an evaporation process, and should be free of these " contaminants".

Okay cool thanks for your help!!!! :)

Flreefer said:

One thing ive learned from reefing is that distilled is never 'free' of contaminants. Its closely compared to just plan RO without the DI however ive tested some distilled that fair far worse containing significant TDS and phosphate.

Schism said:
One thing ive learned from reefing is that distilled is never 'free' of contaminants. Its closely compared to just plan RO without the DI however ive tested some distilled that fair far worse containing significant TDS and phosphate.

So do you think its okay to use?

DanS180 said:
So do you think its okay to use?

Yes it's ok to use, if you look at the label most bottled water is RO filtered, some, as mentioned, will have things added back to them. Distilled should not have anything added back, and some are even run through an RO filter, but you have no idea what condition the membrane is in.

Schism said:

This is probably true, but in a pinch, it's better than spring or drinking water.
To the OP, if you could get the water from one of the vending machines, located at Wal-Mart, or in front of Walgreens stores, this is also an option. Although it might not be "perfect" water, I've used it for years, without any issues.

Flreefer said:
This is probably true, but in a pinch, it's better than spring or drinking water.
To the OP, if you could get the water from one of the vending machines, located at Wal-Mart, or in front of Walgreens stores, this is also an option. Although it might not be "perfect" water, I've used it for years, without any issues.

Okay, so I guess "Poland spring" and "nestle pure life" is no good??

DanS180 said:
Okay, so I guess "Poland spring" and "nestle pure life" is no good??

They will most likely contain some undesirables for your tank.
Poland spring huh? You must be in the northeast! I miss having crystal clear water, straight from the ground. Water down here is horrible...swamp water!

Flreefer said:
They will most likely contain some undesirables for your tank.
Poland spring huh? You must be in the northeast! I miss having crystal clear water, straight from the ground. Water down here is horrible...swamp water!

I used to live in NE Philly but I live in south jersey now haha where r u located at?

DanS180 said:
I used to live in NE Philly but I live in south jersey now haha where r u located at?

Used to live in northern NH, now I live in southwest FL, Christmas still, after 21 years, doesn't feel right!
Vend water will work, if you can find one. This is dependant on how well it is serviced too though. They are not all created equally. They usually tell you when the last time it was serviced on the LCD display. Distilled will work too, but your best option would be to get your own RO/DI unit.

Flreefer said:
Used to live in northern NH, now I live in southwest FL, Christmas still, after 21 years, doesn't feel right!
Vend water will work, if you can find one. This is dependant on how well it is serviced too though. They are not all created equally. They usually tell you when the last time it was serviced on the LCD display. Distilled will work too, but your best option would be to get your own RO/DI unit.

My own unit? How do I go about that? Lol

They are sold on many on-line sites, Bulk Reef Supply for one, a site supporter. There are many different sites, but can't think of them off-hand. You can google it and probably come up with 5 or 6 companies that sell them.
I've heard many good things about the BRS units, they come with all the necessary fittings for installation, and the more expensive units come with TDS meters and back-flow kits, for unit maintainence. A nice 5 stage unit is like $200.

200 dollars that will save you hundreds in the long run. I love my ro/di. I had to replace my filters/resin in mine. While I waited for it all to arrive, I had to use gallon jugs of distilled again. I did not miss spending that much for water.

I filled my tank with rodi salt mixed water, $80 worth to fill my 75, sump and pumps. Although from then on i have been using a tap water drinking filter. 3 months in, and I can't say that I have noticed any more alge then others that have only ever run rodi.

I do know my water has trace amounts of heavy metals. I started running my pre mixed water in a extra tank with some carbon running.

Hope this helps? I'll find out in time if I'm doing the wrong thing.

The water we use for our tanks is very important. When you have pure water (0 TDS RO/DI) then you have eliminated any possible problems from contaminants. Tap water can test at 400 TDS depending on location and bottled water is not much different.

The thing about it is we as hobbyists cannot test for most of these contaminants. So unless you have 0 TDS you have no idea about what is in your water besides the basics like ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate etc.

No one will recommend anything besides RO/DI because it is a risk to some degree. If its not 0 TDS then its not recommended. Can other water work? Sure, but usually when problems arise the water source is the first thing looked at so why not be a step ahead of the game?

Use what u need in an emergency but i dont recommend long term use of any kind.

Ive stated that I use filtered drinking tap water. That being said, I haven't, and won't ever recommend. Its a do so at your own risk. But after three months without any problems "yet" I can't see one time deal bc you can't get to rodi water a disaster.

I have a friend with a nano reef thats been running for 7 years on filtered drinking tap water. If theres anything to be said for that.

Wow lots of info guys, thanks! I think I'll just go out n get RODI lol my tanks only a 16g so its not that much water, don't really have the extra $200 for that unit anyways :/

Back
Top Bottom