Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2006, 05:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill
Whatever you do, do not buy something because someone tells you too.
I hope everyone would try to understand this hobby before jumping in. Just like you would research other purchases ie: car, electronics, etcetera. You have to do the proper research on products or else you will end up spending wasted money on inferior/unneeded equipment.
This I understand, I just feel like a sponge trying to absorb everything and take it all in. I listen to it all... but may not follow it all to the letter just because someone on the internet told me to.

Unless Bill from Microsoft tells me to forward email and he'll send me money.. cause that I'll do.

Old 02-17-2006, 06:03 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by elzool
But using a sump in addition to lr is not a bad thing right?
Absolutely and is recommended for the advantages I listed just below that. Just wanted to make sure you understood that the lr serves as your main bio-filtration and that it isn’t needed but is still very useful.

Quote:
Could you elaborate on this please? The part about reducing the possibility appeals to me.
Sumps/overflows can fail. For instance if the sump is too full, then in the event of a power failure the sump itself will overflow. So you need to design sumps very carefully. They need to hold enough water to resist underflow due to evaporation for a reasonable length of time, but not so much that they can't hold the residual overflow from the tank when the power goes off. And there needs to be enough room in the tank that if the overflow fails, the additional water pumped up from the sump does not flood it. This article goes into more detail and should explain it more clearly

Quote:
How much noise are we talking about when it's below?
That depends solely on the skimmer and cabinet design really. It’s not huge but the real advantage is not having it hanging off your tank all the time.

Old 02-17-2006, 06:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
"But using a sump in addition to lr is not a bad thing right? Especially since it can house all of these other itmes like heaters, skimmers, etc. "

Sump is great for a lot of things. You should read up on them on www.melevsreef.com

You're going to need a QT too.. 20g is fine, but 10g will do in a pinch.

Take your time, and keep reading. buy stuff online to save a TON of money.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 12:21 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a qt tank, 10 gallon that I was using for fw... it ought to work for qt measures. I hope.

One thing I should have mentioned up front was that anything I buy I am hoping to get the quietest model possible.

I know I can't completely escape noise, but the less, the better.

Someday I'll add fishies.
elzool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:31 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

While they aren't essential for all the reasons mentioned, I still like having my Fluval canister around just to ocassionally run some carbon in and to give a little extra flow. That needs to be taken with a grain of salt though. If running media in a canister then it's essential to keep it maintained as part of your weekly maintenance so it doesn't become a nitrate factory. You can go with them or without, but keep up on them if you have them.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:35 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, after quite a bit of thought and speaking to more lfs, I think I'll stick with the original plan of a canister filter.

Since I am hoping to keep things out of the aquarium I'll pick up an inline heater as well.

Thanks to everyone for all the information to allow me to decide on what it was *I* wanted to do.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok... one more thing

Is is safe to still use 135 pounds or so or live rock or will this cause any problems?

If the tank has nothing in it to start, can I put the sand and precured rock in or will I just overload the filter?

Old 02-18-2006, 08:56 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...459&highlight=

I just put together a 75g FOWRL setup in August. The link to sort of a journal i kept through the process is above. Maybe you'll find something useful in it. HTH
Old 02-20-2006, 03:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok, what am I missing?

This is what I'll be picking up to finish/start this up.

Rio Seio Super Flow M620 (2)

Fluval 404 (1)

200W Submersible Titanium Heaters (2)

135# Rock

100# Sand

Instant Ocean 160 Gallon Bucket

Test Kits

Hydrometer

GFI Power Strip

With regards to the Fluval and the Seio Heads, will or should they come with everything required to connect them?

Old 02-20-2006, 04:00 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenn
I just put together a 75g FOWRL setup in August. The link to sort of a journal i kept through the process is above. Maybe you'll find something useful in it. HTH
That was a great read. Thanks!
Nice setup and superb job onthe stand and canopy.

Wish I had me some carpenter skills.

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com