Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm not sure I'd recommend this for a tank, but I've used CLR to get some grungy stuff out of fish bowls. I CLR'd them and scrubbed/rinsed the living daylights out of them. I never had a problem, but then a bowl is much easier to rinse thoroughly than a tank. :/

Old 05-02-2010, 02:45 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'm not going to let this thing get the best of me! I finally got a good picture of the spots, although the camera makes them look brighter than they really are: Picasa Mobile

Old 05-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

straight as in the absolute CHEAPEST you can find, cheap= less refined.
if you do the baking soda, use gloves and a spray bottle, spray the spot with vinegar and with a protected had, dab some baking soda on it. chemical reaction SHOULD emulsify what is on your glass and just wipe with paper towels and follow with a razor over the whole area and then clean normally.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:43 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, I tried pretty much everything today. Baking soda and vinegar, baking soda and water, vinegar only, and so forth. I even tried some muratic acid and that didn't phase it... I tried it diluted at first, and gradually worked my way up until it was straight out of the bottle. No change in the white spots.

That leads me to believe that the white spots are actually etched into the glass instead of just being a deposit on the surface. So, does anyone know of a good way to remove something that's etched in?
Old 05-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

no man sry. the only thing i can think of is to buff it out
Old 05-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is the tank painted on one side? If not just put the faulty side to the back?
Old 05-05-2010, 02:51 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nah, it's not painted anywhere. The white spots are alot worse on the back side, but they are on the sides a good bit, and some on the front too.... I can't win for loosing on this thing!! I do have a blue colored background I can tape on the back, so maybe that will help the spots blend in.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I'll keep on trying to get it clean and I'll post on here what works, if anything, and what doesn't.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestes View Post
Well, I tried pretty much everything today. Baking soda and vinegar, baking soda and water, vinegar only, and so forth. I even tried some muratic acid and that didn't phase it... ...
Did you try the bleach suggestion? If not, give it a try - full on, don't dilute it. (But where rubber gloves!)

Bleach is OK in this application since you can easily rinse it and let it air dry for a while before putting it to use.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:24 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Bleach didn't make any difference either... I decided to try the muriatic acid thing again, only I let it soak this time. Before, I wore some gloves and a respirator and scrubbed the tank. This time, I filled the tank almost clear up and then added two gallons of the acid. I let it sit for about 7 hours, and then drained/rinsed the tank. That didn't remove the spots, but it helped.

I really appreciate everyone's help! I never knew algae could etch glass like that...
Old 05-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

glass is silica and silica is a nutirent used by algae. the circle of life.

Tags
clean, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com