Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

As i mentioned earlier, better yet here is what i have: 45 gallon tank 25"tall X 23" diameter. 2, 65 watt 10000k/actinic PCs and a 20 watt 6700k flouresent light. I am going to; 2, 96 watt 10000k/actinic PCs and a 65 watt actinic. Thats an increase of about 107 watts, for a total of 267 watts, up from 150 watts. i figure that will give me, considering the depth, and all i have is 45 lbs of LR and 45 lbs of LS, i should get a pretty decent watts/ gal. ratio for what i want, which i should have mentioned my intentions from the beginning. Sorry i am a newby on forums. Since my plans are out the window for sea horses for about 5 or 6 yrs. i am kinda in limbo on what to put in my tank. I put the damsels in the tank just to help get my tank cycling. The crabs becouse i dont think they hurt my tank any, and the blenny for algae. I did not plan on keeping the damsels, knowing their temperment, but they aint really easy to get out of the tank without taking out all the rock.the only reason i bought the anemony is becouse i got the clown, the only reason i got the clown is becouse my wife wanted a fire shrimp. I didnt really want a fire shrimp is becouse some are known to hide most of the time. Bottom line, the wife cant go to the lfs any more lol. I was kinda leaning towards sps corals and critters(crabs,shrimps,sand sifters)and stuff like that.More the low to moderate lights things. I will get the anomy out though. Does any body want a green tip bubble anemony? Hope this helps better understand my intensions, that or i am really off on my knowledge on the lighting, let alone the tank

Old 01-28-2008, 08:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Location: Tired of the mod power plays; gone to another forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by s10469 View Post
Since my plans are out the window for sea horses for about 5 or 6 yrs. i am kinda in limbo on what to put in my tank. I put the damsels in the tank just to help get my tank cycling. The crabs becouse i dont think they hurt my tank any, and the blenny for algae. I did not plan on keeping the damsels, knowing their temperment, but they aint really easy to get out of the tank without taking out all the rock.the only reason i bought the anemony is becouse i got the clown, the only reason i got the clown is becouse my wife wanted a fire shrimp. I didnt really want a fire shrimp is becouse some are known to hide most of the time. Bottom line, the wife cant go to the lfs any more lol. I was kinda leaning towards sps corals and critters(crabs,shrimps,sand sifters)and stuff like that.

Maybe it's just getting late but that last post made me LOL, in a sad kinda way.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10469 View Post
I put the damsels in the tank just to help get my tank cycling.
I only point this out so as to help you out and you dont make the same mistake. Putting damsels in the tank for cycling is not a really great idea. It`s not humane either. Read this

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ank/Page1.html

as far as the lighting the watts per gallon rule is a general rule and is really becoming outdated with technology. Your lighting lacks intensity which is what is needed for anenome`s. Even using the watts per gallon rule you are not close. I dont say this to be hurtful but so you`ll understand where we are coming from. Your anenome will keep wondering around looking for an area that suits him but he wont be able to find it without proper lighting. You said on your post that you wanted SPS corals and you definitely wont make it on that. Soft corals and some LPS corals will be possible but not SPS. Just keep reading and checking the hobby out and you`ll be OK. We are here to help. No one has said anything to hurt you just trying to help. Also one last thing. I would ditch your LFS as he should have known better than to sell you that anenome. He was looking out to make a sale and not looking out for you. Good luck and let us know if you have any questions.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

As I mentioned eariler...watts/gal is not really an appropriate measure. It is not the AMOUNT of light that is as important as the TYPE of light. CF has far less penetration power then say MH. MH will penetrate much deeper into the tank because it originates from a single focal point and is more intense then CF. Keep in mind, this is not as much of an issue in shallower tanks with more surface area. Its kind of an "apple and oranges" thing. I am just trying to offer the best advice I can for the type of tank you have. Take it or leave it...just remember that the good folks on this forum do have a bit of experience under our belts. We are all here to help.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I respect all your advice. Heres the good news, I took my anenomy to the lfs. Heres maybe the bad news, the new kid that took it and just plopped it right into the tank, rock and all. If i have to acclimate, shouldent they? I hung around a bit to keep an eye on him, but it didnt do much. Its a bummer day. About MH lighting, I seen a tank with big, bright MHs and it was awsome. You could see the ripple reflections from the lights on the bottom of the tank. It was like looking onto the ocean. All i have is a 45 gal. and i have a wife.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:56 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah... they shoulda acclimated it. But then again, they do a lot of things at LFSs that you don't want to do in your tank!

Just FYI, clowns don't "need" anemones - they get along just fine without them. Granted, it's pretty darn cute to see them playing in them, but they don't need them.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:24 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

The best advice I can offer at this point is to STOP adding anything to the tank. START reading the articles that are now back online and KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!

A hex tank is really best suited for FO/FOWLR which doesn't need a lot of lighting. There is not a lot of surface area for gas exchange to take place either so you want to keep the tank lightly stocked.

After reading the articles post your ideas for your tank and listen to the combined wisdom you'll get here. When that wisdom is conflicting you either need to ask again (slightly re-phrased), and/or get to know the membership (subject matter experts or SME) from reading the forum postings and trusting some more than others.

With time and patience you will end having an enjoyable experience.
Good luck
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:32 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Lol. I just read this thread. Everything seems to have been worked out. I agree with everyone on the lighting and definitely with what Cmor just said. You need to do a LOT more reading.

My question is, if you didn't want an anemone, why did you buy it?

And what does having a fire shrimp have to do with getting a clownfish?

Sort of off topic-

Also about the lfs- There should be a large site where all lfs's in the US are listed so 1. you can find a lfs near you and 2. you can rate the lfs's and list comments/reviews, hopefully then those lfs's like the one mentioned will go out of business or fix their problems. Thank God that happened to an lfs near me in Charleston. It was so sad to walk around and see all the dead/dying fish and finally it went out of business.

Tags
sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com