Bought a Used 96G Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I get this home should I rinse the sand thoroughly?
Disrupting the sand bed is going to cause a spike your inhabitants might not live through. It might be better to remove the sand completely during the move and replace it with new, dry sand (thoroughly rinsed). If you want to keep this sand, I would rinse the heck out of it. Over time, a lot of uneaten food and fish poop settles between the grains of sand, and stirring it up will be dangerous.
Even if you leave it alone, pulling the rock out might be enough to stir it up.

About the rock, I would get a bunch of rubbermaid bins from walmart and try to transport it mostly or completely submerged in the tank water to limit die off during the trip. The fish in a separate container of course.

I disagree with the statement that ANY butterfly is an easy to care for, beginner fish.

Thank you for that info. I'm about a half hour away from my new tank. Beyond stoked!!

One more thing- have a large water change ready for when you get it set up. This way, if something spikes, you can do something about it instead of watching your fish suffer.

Remember to get rid of the achillies and blue tang, achillies belong in experts tank, and blue tangs get big.

Oh, i thought you said achillies, tomini i think can be kept in that tank size, but the blue tang is an ICH MAGNET! When i had one, it had 2 cases of ich in 6 weeks. Good luck

First time poster here...

I just purchased a 96G corner setup on Craigslist for $550usd. It is going to cost me ~$300 to rent a truck to go pick it up 2.5 hours away. (I promise this isn't a math question) So at a total of $850 can someone please confirm or deny if this was a good deal. Also any tips or tricks to help this move be successful will be appreciated.

Here is what it comes with:

96 gallon reef ready corner tank and stand in mint condition
100lbs of live rock with some soft corals
25gal wet dry underneath tank
2x150w metal halide with 2 T5 bulbs (one ballast will need to be replaced cause it gets hot and trips the breaker on it)
ASM G1X protein Skimmer
digital heater
3-4 power heads
1 large Hippo Tang
1 medium acillies Tang

I would have rented a UHaul $19.99 for the day

I did rent a Uhaul. 19.99. .40 cents a mile 125 in gas. 28 in tolls.

550 setup
+ 296 rental

Still a decent deal?

I am getting what sounds like a gurgling sound from my standpipe in the overflow. Any ideas on how to stop this?

I needed to take apart the pipe that connects the overflow to the sump. That solved it.

Back
Top Bottom