Bought my first SW... Easy Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davebailey46

Aquarium Advice Activist
Freshy here...that was until....
Today I bought a 55 gal existing SW tank locally today. The tank needs a real good cleaning. Any ideas what percentage of his water should I keep during the move to not kill off the bacteria? Also should I go to my LFS and get some more live sand and some prepackaged saltwater to refill the tank?
Also, anytips for the move?

Thanks to all of you. All the rearch I have done on this site should jump me into this setup no problem

I would test the water (or take it to the LFS and see if they will test it). Depending on what the results are, make a decision on the water change. I would not do more than 20 percent at a time. You would be better off doing a small percentage each day, if you need to, to get the water parameters in check. That will keep your fish from stressing from a sudden, noticeable water quality change.

For the move, keep as much water as you can. Put it in buckets, rubbermaid tubs, etc. Put the fish in a bucket or tub and try to get an air bubbler for it. Same thing for any rock you have. Hopefully it is a short move.

The move is less than 15 minutes by car...Im leaving soon to get it after a rubbermaid pickup at the store. Ill test the water before i start breaking down.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom