Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2003, 09:44 AM   #31
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
C- Bass, some comments and questions. First off, no your storage tank does not need to be full to generate DI water. The storage tank is just useful if you have a sink faucet hook-up and allows for storage of the RO or RO/DI water under enough pressure to give you water when you open the faucet. Remember that the dynamic output of these units is a trickle, so if you wanted a glass of water to drink, without the storage tank, you will have to wait until the unit has generated (dynamically) enough water for you. Hope that clears that up.

Now as to your hook up. Is there anyway you can hook up your unit to any convenient cold water pipe that is also located near to a waste pipe? Remember the under the sink hook-up is only because of the convenience of having both the feed and drain in the same place (and usually the space to place it). If not and your only option is a mobile hook up, then you could simply install a 1/4" Jaco valve on the line and use this to shut off/put on and connect/disconnect your system to the inlet. Ditto for the waste, just in the off chance that there is a back up in the pipe, I would install a valve there as well. These valves are rated for up to approx 230Lbs. of pressure, so it will comfortably hold the standard house pressure of approx 60 PSI. As far as filling your container, be prepared that it fill only at a rate of approx 3.5 GPH, so depending on how much DI water you need, I used to run a long piece of 1/4" hose from the output of the DI cartridge to my collection container and just ckeck it every few hours. Now I have plumbed everything so it is all automatic (see my set up in my gallery). Remember if you are using this on a mobile basis, you will not need or use the faucet or storage tank. Just collect the DI output directly into your storage container.

Hope this all makes a little sense, if not let me know and I will try to answer any questions you may have. 8)

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:35 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
My girlfriend is not big on me removing the shelving either
Man up... Lay down the law... Get the saw out... Then buy some Roses

Zero

P.S. If she has plants, push the "Its so much better for watering the plants" angle

Why Settle For The Lesser Evil! Vote Cthulhu!

Live in Nevada? Visit the Nevada Regional Forum at http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewfo...dcb6a37297e562
CountZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:22 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

LOL... I like your spirit zero... If only it were that easy. I may opt for your plan though!

Thanks for the advice and help Sam. I will have more setup questions coming soon I imagine.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:28 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just thought of another. If I put the storage tank on the side of the DI output, then I can fill that tank and it will shut off after it's full without worrying about it overflowing if I forget to check on it, right? As it stands, there is a T-connection on the input side of the DI, do I just remove it and replace it with a normal quik connector or what?
Old 12-03-2003, 09:30 AM   #35
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

C-Bass that would work just fine and yes, I assume that your system has an auto shut off valve built in so that as soon as there is enough back pressure, it will shut the system down. So if you want to collect DI water in your storage tank, just connect it to the output side, exactly as you described. Good luck 8)

Me
Old 12-03-2003, 09:44 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

and just remove the T fitting and replace it with a standard quik connector on the input side of the DI?
Old 12-03-2003, 09:45 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Activist

BTW... thanks for your help!!
Old 12-04-2003, 09:08 AM   #38
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ryan, glad to help.

And yes, just replace the T-fitting with a "quik" connector. Remember all of these fittings are rated for 240PSI so they stay tight and dry. I have quite a few t-connectors and valves attached to my system to feed my storage container, to allow me to draw down DI water when I need it for my dips and to feed my top-off system. So far, have not had any leaks to worry about. Let me know how it goes and if you need any more assistance. I am sure that once you are done, it will all make sense then. Good luck 8)

Me

Tags
stall, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com