bought RO system on Ebay, need help with install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hobbes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I bought a reef RO system on ebay from aquasafecanada. I imagine several others on the board have bought the same or similar ones on ebay so I thought maybe someone could help.

I am installing this and I am not sure if I put the valve on the correct pipe. I have a copper cold water pipe that comes up from underneath. Then attached to that pipe is a value with a smaller pipe that leads directly to my sink faucet.

I installed my RO valve on the copper pipe, and now I am not sure if it was supposed to be that pipe or the smaller one. Can anybody here help? I am attaching picture below. Thanks in advance!!

That looks like it should be ok.. It looks like there is already a split going off towards a ??Dishwater?? as well as some sort of ??drinking water filter?? Spray nozzle???180 degree Water heater??.. It looks like you should be set to go though.. The one thing that I dont see is the "Waste" water line.. Most RO systems use Black Vinyl for the waste water.. If this is hooked up you should be good to go..

HTH,
James

I have a question on that black waste water line that you mentioned.

I also hooked mine up this weekend and was wondering, while the reserve tank is filling, there is a constant flow from this black waste line to my drain. I read in the instruction that this is normal, but dosent make sense to me.

cj: does yours do this?

GrndHog -

The flow from the waste line is expected. RO systems produce a lot of waste water for every gallon filtered. Mine does the same thing.

hobbes, I didnt mean to step on your post, but I thought it would inform all.

I'd like to ask another in relation to our system.

To fill a container to mix saltwater is it best to go off of the DI connection straight from the unit, or draw from the spicket on the sink (the one that was provided in the RO kit).

It seems that the water coming from the spicket is not going through the DI filter which I think is the 6th stage of the unit. :?:

cj10488,

thanks for the response. The yellow tube is the waste water line, which I haven't hooked up yet. You're correct, the copper pipe that is connected to the hot water pipe goes to the dishwasher. Then there are 2 silver color pipes (thinner) one connected to the hot water pipe, the other to the cold water pipe that lead to the faucet. Wasn't sure if i should be connecting to this thinner pipe to the main copper one.

All water taps should be on you main copper feed. Based on your photo, your hook up is fine the way it is. With relation to the DI output, GrngHog asked about, that is correct. The output from the spigot is RO water only. I use that for normal filtered water for the house. For the tank, I use only the RO/DI output. From your photo, this should be the one on the top-most left. Remember to check pH as everything is now stripped out of the water after the DI treatment. HTH 8)

I have just bought the same RO system as hobbes and am wondering about how to patch up the copper pipe after moving out of my rental suite. Just replace the entire pipe?

There are a couple of ways to do it. You can use a clamp that you can get from the hardware store. This is basically a neoprene gasket between a metal clamp that will prevent the hole from leaking. The best way however is to solder in a copper connector. This will make the pipe as good as new. HTH 8)

Depending on a few variables, such as the rating of the unit you have (sounds like a 50GPD unit) and your water pressure. If the unit output rating is as I guessed, then you are right on the money for the output.

Very likely. Ootput on all units are a little slow, that is why most people rig a collection bin to collect the water and you can just have it run overnight. Make sure if you want to do this though that you install proper shut off valves etc. You can take a look at my gallery, I have a schematic for my whole set up just to give you an idea of what I did. 8)

here a ?? if the ya have the a shut off valve on your tub when its fills and turns off dont the water still flow tru(not the ro mem) and out the drain??

Thanks Sam,

That is quite a setup you have, very nice work.

What I'm doing right now is filling my 150gal for the first time. The RO unit is under my kitchen sink and I'm using a 32gal Brute w/ wheels to fill and transport. So far so good.

I'm in a tight window right now, because the tank needs to be filled and ready before tomorrow night when I leave for Orlando. On the way back on Sunday I'm stopping by Liverocks.com in Ozona Fl to pick up 160 lbs of liverock. When I get home alls that I have to do is drop it in. Its about a 5 hour drive from where I live. I should see minimal die off in 5 hours, what do you think?

Anyways, thanks for the help and have a great Thanksgiving.

Thanks GrndHog. Yes you should see minimum die off in that time.
But remember some die off is good if you plan to use the LR to cycle your tank, as this allows for the various bacterial colonies to establish themselves. Have a Great Thanksgiving too. By the way where the heck is "Defuniak, FL." I have never heard of that place. Heck of a name too :lol:

Scuba Steve, in answer to your question, the RO unit I have has an automatic shutoff valve as part of the system and a 3G holding tank for my house drinking water. Bought the unit from www.airwaterice.com. Have no complaints about it. So the shut off valve I have on the collection container (which by the way is a UN rated food grade container) is to shut off the flow only to that container. The unit shuts itself off to prevent exactly what you referred to, water continuing to flow past the membrane. I also have my tub calibrated so that I know how many gallons it has when it is full and when it is 10, or 20 gallons low. This makes mixing salt real easy. Hope that answers the question.

Its actually Defuniak Springs and its about 25 miles north of Destin Fl in the panhandle

I am using the rock to cycle the tank, so I'm not to worried about rushing it home and right in the tank. I'll tell you how it went next week.

:) Sorry, I just had to poke a little fun at you. Great, good luck with the set up. Absolutely let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Have a safe and happy!!

Sam, You say that you use RO water for drinking and not full DI ! Could you pleas tell me where and how oyu hooked up the faucet so that you can draw water after the Ro and also after the DI for tank water
Thanks

The easiest way to do it is go to home depot, get a T valve and a check (On-Off) valve. Put the T on the line running into your DI. Then connect a section of tubing to the DI and the other to the tank. Connect the Tank directly to your fridge or faucet line. Attach a long section of refridgerator line (At .09 cents a foot, I bought 40 feet, and now I can reach any tank in the house!) to the outflow side of the DI filter and then put the Check valve on the other end of your hose. Then, whenever you need to top off your tank, you just turn it on! This is how mine is set up, and it is working well! My TDS meter for regular tap water reads around 250 before the filter, afterwards it reads 4.
Zero

Back
Top Bottom