Boxed Pacific Salt Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flipper

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone here used the salt water that they sell in boxes, that's taken from the pacific? It comes in a 5 gallon cube, and sells for about 10 bucks.

The reason I'm considering picking up a cube, is that my nano, despite alk and calc being fine, the pH is very low. This water is pH 8.3, so by doing my changes for a while with this stuf, I can bring up the pH gradually. I get a discount on it, as well, and it would last me roughly 6 weeks.

I have to admit when I saw that stuff in the store I laughed out loud. I just can't justify paying $10 for 5g of salt water. If your pH is low, I would mix up a new batch of salt water in a bucket and add a pH buffer, then do your water change. If you are able to get the water cheap and it's more a matter of storage then I guess go for it, but again IMHO it's just a waist of money like most of the crap LFS sell these days.

Oh and here is a list of levels in 2 seperate samples of instant Ocean vs one sample of Real Ocean water so you have something to compare what you are looking at to, so you can make your own desision. This is one persons tests so I suggest doing your own tests but at least this will give you a start in the right direction!

Just FYI (no, I'm not going to attempt to start a salt debate here :mrgreen: ), but that S-15 report was funded and publicized by Aquacraft - the company that produces and markets the Bio Sea and Marine Environment salts - in other words, a direct commerical competitor of Instant Ocean.

So, just take it with a grain of salt. ;-)

no, I'm not going to attempt to start a salt debate here

So, just take it with a grain of salt.

rotlaugh.gif
cwm.gif
rotlaugh.gif

ReefLady said:

Too funny!!!

Just so you know, I've abandon the idea of using the sea water for the purpose I had intended (doesn't mean I necessarily won't try it at some point). My intention was to use it for water changes to slowly bring up the pH.

I'll continue to examine the sea water, but in the meanwhile, I'm dosing a Washing Soda solution for the pH.

My intention was to use it for water changes to slowly bring up the pH.
despite alk and calc being fine, the pH is very low

In all likelyhood, this is a CO2 problem. Try opening a window in the room and increasing flow across the top with a powerhead or HOB filter. I don't imagine you are using a surface skimming overflow or a skimmer on your nano, and you may have some DOC build up on the surface, hindering gas exchange.

ReefLady said:
Just FYI (no, I'm not going to attempt to start a salt debate here :mrgreen: ), but that S-15 report was funded and publicized by Aquacraft - the company that produces and markets the Bio Sea and Marine Environment salts - in other words, a direct commerical competitor of Instant Ocean.

I truely had no idea when I posted that! :oops: It was just the only breakdown on Instant Ocean I was able to locate. I love Instant Ocean and its what I use too with no problems I might add. I mearly meant it to be a referance point for the person who was inquiring. :D

I do use a Whisper with no cartrigde to break the surface. You don't think that's helping?

I do use a Whisper with no cartrigde to break the surface. You don't think that's helping?

Possibly not enough, or it simply an example of elevated levels of CO2 in the room, or lees than O2 saturation as the case maybe. Try opening a window in the room, and look at the surface from the bottom up, you should be able to see the extent of the customary oil slick of DOCs on the surface as well as the extent of the surface coverage.

Back
Top Bottom