Brain coral to much light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moneymike1

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my brain coral has gotten to much light and will not open. What can I do to get it back to normal. Water parameters are perfect however brain won't open due to to much light?

Can you tell us more about your light? Did you acclimate the coral to the light? Can you show us a picture of the brain coral as it is?
I want to say I briefly remember your setup...but the lighting just isn't coming to me. It is a pretty new setup and you just got the rockwork how you liked it last week if I'm remembering your tank correctly.

O no lol I have had the tank set up for approx 8 months. I am running two AI vega lights from 12 to 9. Not sure if I acclimated him correctly because this is an LED system compared to what my LFS is using. I will have to take a pic of it when I get off of work. It just hasn't opened and is starting to worry me.

He as been placed on the bottom of the tank the whole time due to them liking the sand bed as I have researched. I just recently moved him to a more shady area as of last night.

Ok, then in getting my tanks confused then.

Either way, it sounds to me like your lighting is stronger than your lfs. To simplify things, your brain coral just walked out of a dark room into intense lighting and it is stressed. Ai sol are very powerful LEDs and you have to be careful not to burn your coral. I did this when I switched over tanks when I got my brand new ecotech radions. They were on full blast and I nuked around 500 bucks of my corals. Move him into a shadier spot or turn the sols down, I'm not familiar with them so only assuming you can.

Ok thanks a ton! I just recently switched and I feel like I have done the same thing you did. Pretty much the whole tank seems closed up for the most part which is killing me because I have a ton of money in it. If it is damaged from the lights can it make a recovery?

It just sucks you spend the extra money to get good lights and only end up hurting your tank!

Back
Top Bottom