Brand new 10g saltwater help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since I already have ammonia, I will probably end up using that. I can dose it up in the tank, no worries. We're going to use a few pounds of live rock and the rest will be base rock. After cleaning the sand today, I checked; there's about 2.5 inches of it. Is that enough?

Here's a question about corals: for hardy, low-to-medium light corals, would a finnex stingray LED light work? I use one on my 10 gallon for "low to medium light" plants.

We're looking at these coral packs on live aquaria, thoughts?:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+2790+2316&pcatid=2316
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+2790+2315&pcatid=2315

Last edited:
Just know that using pure ammonia, it goes a long way. I think a capfull was 4ppm. Add very slowly!

Just know that using pure ammonia, it goes a long way. I think a capfull was 4ppm. Add very slowly!

Yep, I've learned this the hard way in my freshwater tanks lol. I'm glad a lot of my experiences carry over in this regard. Any thoughts on the light option or those coral packs?

You can't use just any Ammonia.
It must be 100% Ammonia
Don't use one with a Surfactant, this one makes bubbles. If you can't find it on the ingredients, shake up the bottle, if it bubbles up, it has surfactants. Don't use it.
Don't use one thats scented

You can't use just any Ammonia.
It must be 100% Ammonia
Don't use one with a Surfactant, this one makes bubbles. If you can't find it on the ingredients, shake up the bottle, if it bubbles up, it has surfactants. Don't use it.
Don't use one thats scented

Yep, I've already got ammonia like that that I've used on several freshwater tanks :)

I prefer ammonia dosing

10 gal
40(ish) liters
40,000 ml
Divide by 1,000,000 (ppm)
.04ml per 1 ppm
.16 ml for 4 ppm

But ammonia isn't pure as it is a gas at standard temperature and pressure , so they dissolve it in pure water. Mine is an 8% solution.

.16 ml divided by 8% is 2 ml

So a half capful will raise ammonia to 4 ppm

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I also use ammonia dosing in all my tanks for cycling. BUT I use dr tims stuff, about $4 on amazon and it is beyond simple to use and measure. One drop per gallon! I am cycling right now using it in fact, but I also use the dr tims stuff for a fast fast fast cycle. lol

I havent set up a 10g, though I have had a 4g and god knows every other size of tank up to 180g but I love the idea! Especially since you arent being overly ambitious with stocking. If it were my 10g I would have the following:
Pistol shrimp and goby pair. This would be a must! lol The relationship between the two is just one of the most fascinating things in saltwater, trust me. :)
A fire shrimp, a porcelain crab, an emerald crab ( they do the coolest little dance on the front glass) and probably a couple peppermint shrimp. I've also always wanted an sponge crab, but it always ends up off my orders lol. Little crab with a sponge onhis head, too cute!
And as far as buying fish as earth responsible as you could, you could look into tank bred species. there arent many readily available but a neon goby is one I believe that would work in a 10g and they are tank bred and raised so they arent coming from the oceans. The way the majority of fish are caught is appalling to say the least and the transportation to your lfs is horrendous, they ship them in bags with like an inch of water. That is my opinion why ALOT of fish die when you get them, bad capture practices and handling. AS far as corals go, you can find them that aren't taken from the oceans as well. For example I have an LFS that only sells propogated corals, meaning he doesnt buy a huge coral then frag it up and sell them, he cuts from what he has grown and has received in trades. BUT you will pay more for these types of corals and tank bred fish as well. For now there is a premium as far as acquiring these types of specimens which really stinks and the majority of people will shop based on price only.

Sorry this is so long! lol

Update and let us know what youve been acquiring for equipment and any plans on fish and corals.

Back
Top Bottom