Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-28-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Brand new 10g saltwater help

I know you're all thinking we're crazy but my fiancé and i are setting up our very first saltwater tank! I'm in charge of finding the SINGLE fish that will inhabit it while he figures out corals.

So my main question is this- what would be suitable for this tank? It obviously has to be reef compatible and stay pretty tiny. I'm currently looking at takana's pygme wrasse and firefish but it's hard to find definite information via Google that i trust

I know a ten gallon saltwater is iffy but we're both experienced and well versed enough to up hold the responsibility and commitment. Any suggestions and tips are greatly appreciated!

Old 05-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

A clown goby would be great in a 10. Check out liveaquaria.com, they have a pretty good understanding of size requirement for fish.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:15 PM   #3
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

first thing is the rock and sand 10lbs sand 10+lbs of rock find a suitable salt mix and a place to find RO/DI water to mix with the salt to a suitable salinity of 1.025
than on to your cycle here is a article of the cycling process , this article will tell you in detail the whole process,
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice
the cycle could take from 4 to 8 weeks depending on ammonia source,

once your cycles finished you can slowly add fish suitable for your tank size
the link below will give you a bunch of choices just be sure you check if they'll work in a 10g and if they are compatable , avoid damsels they a little demons
you probably could add 4 or 5 fish tops depending on size , adding 1 per week to let the bio load build
adding to many to fast will cause a ammonia spike and most likely kill all the fish
Nano Fish
Old 05-28-2015, 07:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Currently im looking at pygme wrasses and the prawn goby. We won't be setting this up for a bit as we plan on moving soon. Im just looking for information in advance
Old 05-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also it might relieve some of your concerns to mention that sinobotia (spelling i know) the user is my fiancé xD
Old 05-28-2015, 07:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Brand new 10g saltwater help

Hi, current owner of a 10g nano reef. Ro/di unit is a must for smaller tanks, as well as staying on top of water changes. Also, in a 10g a skimmer is not needed in a 10g as regular water changes should work. Go with a aquaclear filter for the major filtration on it.
I would never stock as many as 4 fish in my tank, 3 maybe depending what they they are. Neon hints are my fave an a pair of them would be awesome. No clownfish, they need at least a 20g IMHO. A firefighter is great idea also

I have a Pygmy wrasse in mine, a six line an all the research I did said it would be fine in a 10g and they little thing is all over the place, an because it's so active is why I'm upgrading my 10g

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is he just active? Or is he pacing?
Old 05-28-2015, 08:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
The tank came with a whole bunch of sand (at least 10lb) and some rock (3 lb or so). We're gonna seed the rock it came with with some live rock (it's all dried out). Also a filter and a heater. The tank was originally a nano reef, which is why I'd like to try to set it up that way. I'm wondering though, I know corals and saltwater fish prefer more flow. Would I be OK jury-rigging a big adjustable HOB filter for up to 55 gallons to fit on the 10? Or should I stick with the 20 gallon HOB filter it came with?

Also, how do you source saltwater fish and corals responsibly? One of the big reasons I haven't jumped to saltwater yet is the damage that the marine trade causes to reefs in some places. And I can't seem to find much information on how to weed out the bad stuff.

We're both pretty solid about water changes. I've been keeping freshwater for 11 years, and I've been teaching her everything I know. So I'm confident we'll both be able to handle this.
sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Had a high fin banded goby in my 29g years ago.
Great looking fish!
I would not put(can't think of)4 fish in 10?
Maybe barnacle blennies(another good choice).
Old 05-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Dunno where people are getting the "4 fish in a 10" thing, but we only plan on putting one solitary fish in this tank! The plan is 1 fish, some cleaner inverts- snails, peppermint shrimp, hermit crabs; and some hardy corals.

sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate, salt, saltwater, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com