Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2005, 04:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes. Don't use CC in the canister. Use pieces of reef rubble if you want for better filtration. Sorry, the no was meant to be for "don't use." For a 55G, I would use a better skimmer. The Remora or Backpak (CPR) would be ideal. I'm throwing these out there to you now because sooner or later you will find yourself wanting to purchase these, so why not the first time around.

Mike

Old 01-04-2005, 04:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

The question that you want to ask yourself is do you want a natural filtration system, or do you want to rely on things such as canister filters and HOB filters. LR would be the best way to go, and you have a chance to do it before you add anything else to the tank. www.liverocks.com is highly rated here as the ultimate LR shopping experience. I'm sure others will chime in here about filtration methods. In the long run, LR will save you more money regarding filtration.

Mike

Old 01-04-2005, 04:39 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

WOW!~ I had no idea that Live Rock would Actually replace the need for a Canister! What a savings that would be!! Does Live Rock also totally eliminate the need for a Wet/Dry sytstem? If I understand you correctly - Live Rock replaces ANY need for ANY other Filtration System? or just canisters?
Old 01-04-2005, 04:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is the ultimate filtration system for a marine environment. Since you have a 55G, I would suggest a sump but you could add that later. The only thing I use a canister for is running carbon every now and then to polish the water. I have 90lbs. of LR in the tank, and 30lbs. LR in my wet/dry sump. (Berlin method)
This method would reduce the amount of hardware you would need for your tank, and it is more natural with less maintenance involved. Just make sure you get at least 1-1/2 lbs. of LR for proper filtration.
I am sharing this information because many people, including myself, spent unnecessary money on equipment before learning alternate (better) methods.
So to sum things up: 1-1/2 lbs. LR, sand substrate either an inch, or 4 inches, 2-3 Maxijet 1200 PH, 2 heaters, a good skimmer, and decent lighting, depending on what you want to keep in the tank. This will get you beyond started on your journey. 8)

Mike
Old 01-04-2005, 04:59 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Almost forgot. If you get a wet/dry, remove the bioballs and replace with bio reef rubble rock instead. Bioballs over time accumulate unwanted nitrates.

Mike
Old 01-04-2005, 05:52 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thank you for all of your advice. I was also told that I can use my Rubbermaid Trash Can as a sump. Can you please lead me in the right direction (website) that can describe how to set up this type of system?

Thanks

Johnnie
Old 01-04-2005, 06:14 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would ask Lando about that one. I think he made a homemade sump out of a rubbermaid tub. Send him a private message if he doesn't respond to this thread.

Mike
Old 01-04-2005, 07:11 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

We have a trash can as a sump but it is tall and only has a big enough footprint for the skimmer. My stand has very little room. It would be preferrable if your stand is longer to get a rubbermaid tub big enough for the skimmer, heater, and some rubble, then you would not have anything hanging in your tank at all.

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com