Brand new 20 gal FW, want to make it SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TCrox

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Currently there's some FW in my tank, with $22 worth of wasted money on a UGF, $15 worth of wasted money on some gravel, and $8 worth of wasted money on fake plants, and am looking to make it a reef tank. The heater and hanging filter should still be useful once I actually put in SW, right? Do I need to change the filter when I put SW in there? There's the attempt at a FW cycle floating around in the tank right now. So I need to add a skimmer...

Thankfully I read up on here about the Skilter (however that was spelled)... I was pretty close to buying one. But since I found this place I might as well exploit it! :)

What do people think about "Turbo Queen Skimmer With Catalina Aquarium 1200 Pump" There's a guy pawning them off on ebay for $60 claiming it produces "the dry foam they talk about on the chat boards". Looks tempting. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7703567656

For a base I'm going to grab 20 lbs of sand from the ocean floor, but do I need to have that skimmer before I toss a shrimp in there? I could get the water in there and moving around without the skimmer as long as my cycle hasn't finished right? Or will that kill the sand?

Amazing what a few hours of reading will do to a mans pocket book. Looks like I'm just preparing this tank to be a proof of concept for the $200,000 or so it costs to get a decent size tank setup 8O

Back
Top Bottom